Model 32E barrels

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Kman-5455

Model 32E barrels

Post by Kman-5455 »

Question- just-purchased a model 32F that was validated by De Greco as being original. Gun has two sets of barrel a 30 and 32 each numbered to the gun. The problem is the rib supports on the 30 are triangular (correct based on other guns of the period) and the 32 has a flat post rather than the earlier triangular. My guess is that the 32 inch was supplied much later by Remington and numbered to the gun via the Remington Custom Shop. My rationale is due to the duplicate engraving of both barrels at the breach and muzzle. The series bumbler is 28xx.

Does anyone have an opinion on the barrel dilemma. Also the serial number would put the gun in the 30s ( I think) can anyone confirm?

Regards,

Hal
kckfirecapt388

Re: Model 32E barrels

Post by kckfirecapt388 »

Remington model 31 pumps, model 32 superposed, etc. from that era with Remington "factory vent ribs" are ribs that are milled from the original solid barrel blank itself and (NOT) added on/installed in any way shape or form, with zero chance of separation because of the solid, one piece milling process of the barrel itself. After market rib items, moneymaker, simmons, etc. could separate @ weakened contact points for whatever reason because they are actually a separate second or secondary part of that specific barrel that it was installed/added onto. As far as remington custom shop adding such a part (vent ribs) to a rem. 32, probably not, but maybe, (the only people who could verify that happening odds are, are no longer alive to answer that question) i would tend to believe once Delgrego left remington to open his shop in the 1950's and purchased all of the model 31, 32, & Parker parts from remington, the factory would steer the gun owner in his direction as he was considered @ one time the factory repairman/station for those specific models, since a vast majority if not all of his in shop help came from moonlighting remington employee's, R. Runge, to name one. If you have a barrel set with rectangular/flat or square sided posts, odd's are aftermarket (moneymaker, etc) and not a remington custom shop added item. I will look for notes of past remington custom shop employees i talked with by phone since the 1970's about any info., since i started collecting & i noted about those conversation's, and will update if needed..... your 28xx gun @ estimated 500 manufactured (essentially by hand) per year is a 1935-37 gun depending who you talk too. Would enjoy seeing pics. of hi grade 32's if available, never seen a 32D ??? Added info on model 32 barrel blank sets that i just remembered being available thru the years, the old Gunlist periodical off the news stand back in the late 1980's or early 90's had a advertisement from a vender in i believe in the Missouri boothill, NU-LINE GUNS i think, that offered in the white, factory model 32 plain and solid rib barrel blanks in 26", 28" and 30" to be finished (choked, stamped and rust blued & fitted to receiver by gunsmith of purchasers preference) by @ $60.00 a set, i still retain that ad. in my collection as soon as i locate i will attempt to post or can email if interested.... having remembered that, stay tuned.......something might come back to my failing memory......