SHOTGUN IDENTIFICATION

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
forester

SHOTGUN IDENTIFICATION

Post by forester »

TODAY I SAW A REMINGTON PUMP TODAY I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE.IT LOOKED AN 870 PUMP WITH A 21"(I THINK) BARREL WITH AN ENGLISH STOCK. VERY NICE CHECKERING & GREAT BLUING. I KNOW WINCHESTER,BROWNING & ITHACA MADE SUCH A GUN. WHEN WOULD THIS GUN HAVE BEEN BUILT? CAN ANYONE TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT THIS MODEL, PLEASE. BOB I REALLY LIKED IT.REALLY EXPENSIVE.!
Virginian

Re: SHOTGUN IDENTIFICATION

Post by Virginian »

First, please do not use all caps, it is the equivalent of shouting. If it was a Remington 870 with a polished blue finish and walnut furniture it was very likely a Special Field model. They made them in the mid 80s if I remember right; you can usually pin it down with serial # and barrel code since they didn't get their barrels switched nearly as often as other 870s. They made them first with fixed choke barrels, and later with RemChokes. I know some of the 1100 versions came with 21" barrels, and others with 23" ones, but i don't remember about the Wingmasters. Nice little guns, but the barrels will not interchange with other 870s because of the shorter magazine tube to go with the fore end. It is a possibility that someone changed the wood and made a Special Field look-a-like out of a regular Wingmaster. A real Special Field should have Special rollmarked on it. I have an English style stock set on my LT20, but I don't like the real short barrels.
What's your idea of "Really Expensive?" There are usually a few for sale on the online sites.
What could have happened... did.
forester

Re: SHOTGUN IDENTIFICATION

Post by forester »

THANKS FOR THE INFO. THE GUN WAS $6OO.00. I DIDN'T NOTICE THE CHOKES;BUT I WILL LOOK AGAIN.I HAVE A WINCHESTER 1300 UPLAND SPECIAL WITH 3 CHOKE TUBES.I DIDN'T KNOW OTHER BARRELS WOULDN'T WORK GOOD TO KNOW. I HAVE AN 1100 LT20 WITH STANDARD STOCKS. THANKS AGAIN, BOB Did not realize my cap locks were on, sorry!