Model 31 -- Lyman/Cutts Compensator Query

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
6thGa

Model 31 -- Lyman/Cutts Compensator Query

Post by 6thGa »

I'll start with the query: Was the Lyman/Cutts Compensator "original" equipment on US Ordnance-marked Model 31's? I have a Model 31 my father acquired in the early1950's when we were stationed at Travis AFB, CA. He was a B36 a/c at the time. He acquired the M31 from the former Benicia Arsenal near San Francisco. It has the RLB and flaming bomb mark on the left side of the receiver as well as a "BA/3 cartouche stamped on the left side of the butt stock. Matching serial number 39635 on receiver and barrel. The barrel is marked "12 GA for 2 3/4 or shorter shells". With the Cutts, which is six inches long, the total barrel length is 26 1/2 inches. I remember him bringing it home and, with my older brothers' help, cleaning off the cosmolene. The Cutts is trade-marked Lyman/Cutts is also marked "Adjustable Comp Tube." So -- can anyone tell me if this M31 came from the from the arsenal with the Cutts already on it? Or did my father add it at a later date? The Cutts has been on the gun from my earliest memory of it, but admit that could be faulty. Thanks for your help.
Virginian

Re: Model 31 -- Lyman/Cutts Compensator Query

Post by Virginian »

Does the barrel have a choke marking on it? If it does, the Cutts was definitely installed aftermarket. If there is no choke marking it was very likely original. I know on PolyChoke equipped guns from the factory, they machined the interior of the choke unit right on the end of the barrel, but the Cutts installed differently in that the rear of the unit screwed on, so I don't think you can tell that way. I know well up into the '60s at least you could get about anything you wanted directly from Remington as long as you didn't mind waiting and had the money. The Lyman and Cutts units were very similar, but different.
What could have happened... did.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

1939 --

1948 --

Serial number 39635 would have been made at Ilion during November 1940. Remington began cataloguing the availability of the Cutts Compensator on their guns from the factory in 1939. I don't believe the adjustable choke tube for the Cutts Compensator was offered until the 1950s. September 1955 Outdoor Life --

6thGa

Post by 6thGa »

Yes, not sure how I missed it but...the barrel is marked "IMP CYL" at the receiver, left side and just above the serial number. Also, the Cutts trademark stamping includes "Made by Lyman."
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

That's the first time I ever noticed that Cutts was owned by Lyman. I wonder if they always were. A buddy has two of his Dad's guns, and one has a Lyman Choke, and the other has a Cutts, and the choke tubes and the compensator bodies will not interchange.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

one has a Lyman Choke, and the other has a Cutts
Two different products, but both by Lyman.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

That's what I thought. I never cared for them so didn't pay too much attention, but I never noticed Lyman owned Cutts before.
6thGa

Post by 6thGa »

The compensator on my M31 is identical to the "New Adjustable Compensator" pictured in the last of the adds posted by Researcher. Another question: Am I correct the adjustable comp. can be removed from the main tube simply by unscrewing it from same? The tube itself looks just like the tube for the non-adjustable choke (pictured in that same add). My M31 was produced in 1940 possibly with the older, non-adjustable choke as original equipment. Somebody then, perhaps my father, swapped out the older choke for the newer adjustable version. The other adds do describe the M31 barrel with the older compensator at being 26 inches, including the compensator. My M31 measured at 26 1/2 inches -- perhaps the newer adjustable compensator accounts for that extra 1/2 inch?