Model 1900- Is it safe?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
hp246

Model 1900- Is it safe?

Post by hp246 »

I found this site while researching my 1894/1900 SXS. The Serial number in the receiver is 306783 (The serial number is also stamped in the fore end); The barrels are marked with /// above K. From reading some of the earlier posts, I'm assuming this is a 1900 K version with full choke barrels. The right barrel has a 32 on the lug, while the left barrel is 35. Stamped under the left barrel on a flat are is the serial number. On the lug that the fore end snaps into is the number 6862 (This number also appears on the receiver opposite from the serial number and on the fore end). Under this number on the left barrel, it appear a large 3 with a small 10 is engraved.

My questions:
1. I reload, is there a safe load using smokeless powder? or should I load black powder?
2. Are these 2 1/2 inch or 2 5/8 inch chambers? If 2 5/8 can I use standard 2 3/4 inch trap loads?

Any other information would be appreciated.
dieNusse1

Re: Model 1900- Is it safe?

Post by dieNusse1 »

What you appear to have is a K grade model 1900 produced in 1901. Remington produced two K grade models during this time period. The K with steel barrels and extractors ($35) and the KED with damascus barrels and ejectors ($45). KD and KE grades were offered in later years.

As with all firearms, condition is paramount and should be checked by a smith if there is any question about the bores. These guns were designed to fire smokeless rounds. As I recall, they were chambered for 2 5/8" shells. Of course the plastic cases are much thinner than the paper cases so the transition from chamber to bore should be less extreme when using 2 3/4" plastic hulls. The chambers can be reamed to 2 3/4" but again check on barrel condition.

Those that shoot smokeless mainly use rounds that are less than 5000 psi. I have several loads that are 5000 psi or less. Send your email and I'll look them up. I've shot BP for years. It's fun but messy.

As to the chokes -- the pellet counts are stamped on the lug - either 3 numbers (e.g., 332) or 2 numbers (e.g., 32) where a leading 3 is assumed. Remington used a 1 1/4 oz load of #8 shot (511 pellets) to test the patterns (30" circle at 40 yds). The pellet count you show indicate modified to improved modified barrels (65%).

Good luck - have fun - they are great guns!!
Last edited by dieNusse1 on Fri May 30, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hp246

Post by hp246 »

Thanks. I sent a PM with my email, but it is being held until reviewed by a moderator because I'm a new member.

The gun is in really good condition. Stock needs to be replaced. When I took the old one off the safety plunger fell out. Can you advise if it goes with the flat against the inside of the stock or bowed away? I'm guess with the flat away from the stock.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I'm not quite sure what you mean. There is a post titled "1900 Schematic" which shows a cutaway of a 1900. This might show you the answer.

For a 1 oz load I use: AA hull, WWA12 wad, Win 209 primer and 24 gr of 7625. This should give you about 1145 fps at 5000 psi

If you do decide to load BP, I would suggest you do NOT use plastic over powder wads as they tend to meld a bit and deposit plastic in the bore. Also, plastic hulls may develop holes after a load or two. For BP I ended up using brass cases which gives all the volume you'll ever need and won't wear out given proper care.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Remington Model 1900s are a simplified, cheaper, version of the Model 1894, built on the same patents -- No. 528,507 and No. 528,508 both granted Oct. 30, 1894. The Model 1900s were all K-Grades, with E added to the designation if the gun had ejectors and D if it had Damascus barrels -- K-, KE-, KD-, or KED-Grades. The K- and KE-Grades had Remington Steel barrels. The Model 1900s had a snap-on/off forearm and their serial numbers were in the 300,000 range, often preceded with a stock letter Q.

You need to check out Charles G. Semmer's book Remington Double Shotguns. It is available from The Double Gun Journal, 800-447-1658 for $49 plus $10 shipping and handling. It is invaluable if you are going to shoot, invest, collect or play in the Remington double gun field. Remington supplied a number of different pattern Damascus barrels on these old doubles. It was just announced that Charles passed away on 2 May 2014. A picture of their salesman’s sample of the various styles of Damascus available is shown on page 275 of Semmer's book.

Remington Arms Co. stamped the actual pellet counts of their test patterns on the rear barrel lug of their Model 1889 hammer doubles and their Model 1894 and 1900 hammerless doubles. If the number is three digits, that is the count, if the number is two digits a leading 3 is implied. From surviving hang-tags we know the standard load they used to target 12-gauge guns was 1 1/4 ounces of #8 going 511 pellets to the load. My 12-gauge KE-Grade Model 1900 is stamped 33 on the left and 24 on the right. That would be 333/511 = 65% left and 324/511 = 64% right, or about improved modified in both barrels. The chokes measure .027" in both barrels of that gun.

By the end of the first decade of the 20th Century, Remington saw that the future laid with their John M. Browning designed Remington Autoloading Gun (later known as the Model 11) and their John D. Pedersen designed Remington Repeating Shotgun (later known as the Model 10). So, they concluded a deal with Norvell-Shapleigh Hardware Co. of St Louis, for their entire inventory of break-action shotguns in inventory and in process, on February 3, 1910. There must have been a lot of guns involved, because the records show 3206 Model 1894s, and 16435 Model 1900s shipped in 1910. The 1909 Remington Arms Co. catalogue was the last one to include the doubles, and there was a version of the 1909 catalogue that only had the Remington Autoloading Shotgun, the Remington Repeating Shotgun, and the Autoloading Repeating Rifle.

Rumor has it that both 7625 and PB have been discontinued. Scalping is underway.
Last edited by Researcher on Mon May 05, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hp246 wrote:Thanks. I sent a PM with my email, but it is being held until reviewed by a moderator because I'm a new member.

The gun is in really good condition. Stock needs to be replaced. When I took the old one off the safety plunger fell out. Can you advise if it goes with the flat against the inside of the stock or bowed away? I'm guess with the flat away from the stock.

A PM is being held?
If it is, I don't know how unless it was before your first approved post.
hp246

Post by hp246 »

When I sent the PM, it would not leave my outbox. At some point, it did, but not sure what held it up. I assumed it was being held because I was a new member and the red heading at the top of the page. Thanks.
johnnymiz

Post by johnnymiz »

with the usual caveat about having an old gun checked...

I have an 1894 CEO (very similar to the 1900) that i use for trap. it was made in 1901.
i could get a modern O/U and would probably score better, but i like shooting the 1894.
It is a C grade 1894, with ejectors, and ordinance steel barrels. mod/full 30" barrels.
Pull the trigger, it goes bang every time (unless I'm stupid and forget to take it off SAFE)
I dont reload.... I shoot RST Maxlite shells. 2 3/4 inch, 1oz, 1125 velocity.
this seems really close to the recipe above
very low felt recoil and very clean shells. works great in my gun. no issues.
It's a fantastic gun.