Model 1100 Synthetic barrel failure

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
bgreene

Model 1100 Synthetic barrel failure

Post by bgreene »

Has anyone ever seen the barrel gasport/mount break loose from the barrel on an 1100? Last Sunday at the five stand, mine broke loose.
I purchased this gun new in 1997/98, it has less than 1000 rounds through on a trap/skeet range. All light target loads.
Attachments
Picture3.png
Picture3.png (526.57 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
Last edited by bgreene on Wed May 07, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virginian

Re: Model 1100 Synthetic barrel failure

Post by Virginian »

Yes. Call Remington. They may take care of you.
What could have happened... did.
bgreene

Post by bgreene »

Thanks, I sent them an email with this picture attached. I have an 11-87 Premier that I bought at the same time and now looking at it, I notice leakage around the silver solder on it also. I have another older 1100 that does not show those signs.

Well, it seems I can't attach the picture. Sorry.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

I have seen two 1100s with the issue in 51 years. And a few other brands also. Of course I have also seen several that were run over, so anything is possible. The silver solder showing around the edge of the joint is not an indicator of a future problem. The two I saw, one looked like they didn't get it hot enough, and the other had almost zero solder actually in the joint.
When I was going thru the Toyota engine plant they were bragging about how they did not have a diverting line for engines that had an issue like GM did; implying they did not have issues. When we got to the engine test stand several guys were manhandling an engine that wouldn't run off the stand, and there was another one laying there on the floor. I couldn't resist saying that it might be nice to have one of those automated diverter lines right about then. They were not amused. Mass producing anything, stuff happens.
bgreene

Post by bgreene »

Okay, so it appears that it isn't a real common problem. What I noticed was "gas exhaust paths" from the middle of the mount up around the barrel on the 11-87, I also noticed them on the 1100, but did not consider it a problem, since the fore stock has cut outs at that exact point on both weapons. My older 1100 doesn't get these during firing and has the same cutouts.

I couldn't get the picture to post, but if you could see the failed mount, there is very little silver solder on the rear end and appears to none on the fore end.

I really like this 1100, it is a 18-20 gun for me on the five stand.

Thanks for the info!
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

I have an 11-87 which had the action bar sleeve made off center. The wall thickness was nearly paper thin on one side (unbeknownst to me) It failed to cycle, but took a long time to diagnose the problem.
bgreene

Post by bgreene »

tudurgs wrote:I have an 11-87 which had the action bar sleeve made off center. The wall thickness was nearly paper thin on one side (unbeknownst to me) It failed to cycle, but took a long time to diagnose the problem.
How did you figure out the problem?
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

It finally wore thru and we spotted it visually
bgreene

Post by bgreene »

Hey guys,
I am posting this to let everyone know what kind of company Remington Arms really is. They replaced the barrel, no questions asked! Brand new! AND they are repairing the old barrel, I have to pay for refinishing.

Remington will ALWAYS get my business from now on, couldn't ask for a better response from them! :D
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Glad to hear they fixed you up. Not at all an unusual thing for them to do, but the Remington bashers don't want to hear any of that. I have been seeing that kind of service from them for over 30 years.
bgreene

Post by bgreene »

Virginian wrote:Glad to hear they fixed you up. Not at all an unusual thing for them to do, but the Remington bashers don't want to hear any of that. I have been seeing that kind of service from them for over 30 years.
I am happy, at the range Sunday, I heard some more stories about how Remington has taken care of customers similarly. I was totally amazed, I bought that 1100 new in 1997, I was okay with paying for the repair, can't expect anything to last forever, but to receive a new barrel? That was GREAT!
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

Grrr! I sent a request to Remington Customer Service a week ago regarding the recall of a M700. Got an automated response saying "Thanks - will get back to you shortly". A week has passed. Sent a second response. Nada. BTW, for better or worse, I pointed out to them that my dad had been a Remington Director in the 60's. I like Big Green, but....
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Their mailbox is probably always overflowing with people dying to know exactly when their third hand 870 was made.
bgreene

Post by bgreene »

tudurgs wrote:Grrr! I sent a request to Remington Customer Service a week ago regarding the recall of a M700. Got an automated response saying "Thanks - will get back to you shortly". A week has passed. Sent a second response. Nada. BTW, for better or worse, I pointed out to them that my dad had been a Remington Director in the 60's. I like Big Green, but....
Call them, they just went through a system upgrade and they (Steve) told me that emails were tough right now, of course that was a couple of weeks ago.
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

Gun was returned yesterday. Never did hear from the customer service folks. I guess all's well that ends well