Rem 1100 feed latch question...

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Shooter R

Rem 1100 feed latch question...

Post by Shooter R »

I have an 1100 that I use for singles and handicap trap only. I never plan on using the magazine to allow a second shot.

A strange thing happened. I was reassembling the gun, and as you usually have to press the feed latch in to slide the action bar/bolt assembly in place, I was surprised when it slid right in without having to do that.

The feed latch is still staked in place. I compared this one to one of my other 1100's and noticed that about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch piece was missing from the front of it allowing it to move away from the receiver enough that the action bar would slid right in.

As it was broken I removed the part, intending on buying a new part and a staking tool from Brownells. Then I thought: If I only use the gun as a single shot, can I just leave the part out?

Will this cause any unintended problems? I would like to know if anyone has had the feed latch become "unstaked" and just left it out for a while? Thanks for any replies. Shooter R
Virginian

Re: Rem 1100 feed latch question...

Post by Virginian »

With an empty magazine, the latch is unneeded. Only controls feed from the magazine. If you ever decide to replace it, you do not need to stake it. The trigger group and the pins keep it in position, the staking is just for reassembly. I put some Superglue in the slot and clamped one in a a temporary fix about 6 years ago, and now I don't remember which one it was. I will never stake another one. Oh, and I have the tool. Can't tell you how many receivers I have seen buggered up by staking attempts.
What could have happened... did.