1100 LT20 Butt Stock Sizes

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Nodak7mm

1100 LT20 Butt Stock Sizes

Post by Nodak7mm »

Folks,

I have an Youth Sized 20ga 1100 that I purchased for my young daughters at the time to shoot informal trap with. It was perfect at the time as it had the youth stock and 21” VR barrel with Rem Choke system. (Barrel is marked LT20 and receiver just states Remington 1100)

My girls have grown and now I hope to outfit the gun with a standard LOP stock so I can give it to my youngest daughter who is now in Air Force Tech school to shoot trap/skeet with (a present for when she graduates 8) ). I was just recently able to find a 28” replacement LT barrel through the barrel exchange and am trying to find new/slightly used standard LOP or full size buttstock assembly for it.

Reading up on the differences between the standard receiver, the 20ga receiver, the LT, the LW and etc… I end up somewhat confused as to what stock will actually fit my shotgun as internet answers are all over the board. To add to my confusion, half of the ads for stocks show a stock fits both the 1100 & 870 and in all gauges. (will an 870 stock fit an 1100?) :?:

The best info I can tell comes from an article written by Jack Heath on the 1100. This article contains a table that describes which gauge/model came with either a 2” or 3” receiver. From that table, it looks like if I find a standard LOP stock that fits all 20’s except the magnum and 16 ga 1100 I should be good to go, right?

The best result my research led me to, is this board. So throwing myself on the mercy of the knowledgable members, can anyone provide me with a surefire way or part number I can use to purchase a 13.5” LOP stock that will fit my 1100 LT20?

Thank You in advance.

Rod in Fargo
Virginian

Re: 1100 LT20 Butt Stock Sizes

Post by Virginian »

Any LW or LT Model 1100 20 gauge stock will fit. 2-3/4" chamber or 3" doesn't matter. And LW 870 stock may fit. The newer ones have an oversize hole, and older one you may have to drill out. A 12 or 16 gauge of any vintage will not fit. A standard receiver 20 gauge will not fit. A 20 gauge 11-87 buttstock will fit, and so will the fore end with the addition of a small spoacer in the front inside (1" PVC pipe is perfect size).
Check ebay, and make sure they know what they have. Plenty of them don't. Guy from Mississippi has some really pretty stock sets.
What could have happened... did.
Nodak7mm

Post by Nodak7mm »

Some great core info, thank you for providing that detailed response.

Considering your first statement and If I happen to come across a butt stock advertised as 1100 20ga LW Mag, it should fit my LT?

Your thoughts Mr. Virginian will be greatly appreciated. Any chance of discussing the table contained in Mr Heaths article implies receiver sizes in two sizes, both 2" & 3".

Again thank you for taking the time to share this info.

Rod in Fargo

Virginian wrote:Any LW or LT Model 1100 20 gauge stock will fit. 2-3/4" chamber or 3" doesn't matter. And LW 870 stock may fit. The newer ones have an oversize hole, and older one you may have to drill out. A 12 or 16 gauge of any vintage will not fit. A standard receiver 20 gauge will not fit. A 20 gauge 11-87 buttstock will fit, and so will the fore end with the addition of a small spoacer in the front inside (1" PVC pipe is perfect size).
Check ebay, and make sure they know what they have. Plenty of them don't. Guy from Mississippi has some really pretty stock sets.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

I assume you are referring to the table in Mr. Heath's 1100 history article on this site. It is correct but I wish it said 2-3/4" instead of 2". Misleading to the unfamiliar to my mind. I disagree that serial numbers started with 1001 also, as I have seen two lower ones. Remington doesn't have a clue. They tried to tell me two of mine did not exist.
The 1100 has been made in two receiver sizes, standard - 12 gauge sized, and Lightweight (LW and LT designation). All 12 & 16 gauges have been on the larger receiver. The 20 has been built on both sizes, and the 28 and .410 have all been one the smaller receiver. The ONLY differences between the Magnums and the 2-3/4" models in both receiver sizes in 12 and 20 gauge are the barrel - one gas port on Magnums, the action sleeve - the Magnum model sleeves are heavier, and the stock on the Magnums has a recoil pad - same overall dimensions. The receivers are rollmarked differently, but they are dimensionally identical between the Magnums and the 2-3/4" guns. Therefore the buttstocks will interchange. All 11-87 20 gauges have been built on the LW/LT sized receiver, and that is what is still in production on 1100s and 11-87s today, although not all 1100s still have the LT designation.
Nodak7mm

Post by Nodak7mm »

Thank you Virginian,

That clears it up pretty well for me, appreciate your explanation. And yes that 1100 table was/is misleading without including the 3/4's part on the 2" as it made me think of some other dimensional measurement I was unable to determine.

Rod in Fargo
jhenke

Post by jhenke »

Nodak7mm (or anyone else with youth stock for Rem 1100-20),
Any chance you have the youth butt stock and want to sell? I'm looking at doing the opposite. I have a Rem 1100LT 20 and want to put a youth stock on for my grandson.

Thanks
Nodak7mm

Post by Nodak7mm »

Jhenke......

Pm sent.. that is a private message

Rod
jkingrph

Post by jkingrph »

I may have one sometime next week. I acquired a 1100 LT from my sister that has a rather rough stock that has a recoil pad plus a rather thick spacer to increase LOP. Spacer looks to be about 1/2 inch thick. Wood has numerous gouges and scratches. I order a LW magnum stock after reading that it will fit, from Numrich. I am hoping that it will in fact fit and if so will be willing to part with the one currently on the gun. Dents and gouges could probably be steamed out and a refinishing job will probably make a decent looking stock, I have done worse but just do not feel like it for one with poorly fitted spacer and pad.
guntotingtherapist

Post by guntotingtherapist »

I own a Remington 1100 20 gauge LT barrel with an English stock. LOP around 14 or 14 1/2. I would like to sell it or trade for one with a pistol grip.
guntotingtherapist

Post by guntotingtherapist »

jhenke wrote:Nodak7mm (or anyone else with youth stock for Rem 1100-20),
Any chance you have the youth butt stock and want to sell? I'm looking at doing the opposite. I have a Rem 1100LT 20 and want to put a youth stock on for my grandson.

Thanks
Hi I have a Remington 1100 Lt barrel 20 with an English stock and I don't like the stock. Anyone want to trade for a pistol grip?
Michael Lueckemeyer

Post by Michael Lueckemeyer »

Greetings, I'm new to this forum but I have an 1100 LT-20 Special made in the early nineties, serial number R015245K, if that helps. Dad cut the butt stock down for me when i was a kid, but i would like to use this shotgun for dove season and need full size stocks (both fore stock and butt). I searched for these a few years back and found a synthetic set, but the fore stock did not fit and could only use the butt stock. Now my gun looks like an oreo with a wood fore stock and a black synthetic butt stock. Does anyone have full size stocks to sell me?

Thanks

Michael
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

Lots of places to go on the internet Ebay, Gun Broker, Guns International. Remington made a number of different configurations. Make sure you are buying a set which matches your gun
Michael Lueckemeyer

Post by Michael Lueckemeyer »

I have looked, but can't find anything. I was hoping that some of the previous posters who mentioned they had butt stocks for sale were still around. I specifically want wood butt stock and fore end.

Thanks
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

The Special Field models came with a 21" or 23" barrel, and a shorter magazine tube and fore end. They have been out of production for 20 years now. They will accept regular barrels, but for a fore end one would have to adapt (cut, shape and refinish) anything now available that I am aware of. The Youth Models with the shorter barrels utilized standard length magazine tubes and fore ends. The buttstocks were straight gripped.
rchop5309

Post by rchop5309 »

Michael L.

email me. I have an lt 20 that I am looking for a kids stock for if you are interested in selling what u have