Help ID Oddball 58

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
wmterry8987

Help ID Oddball 58

Post by wmterry8987 »

Im not sure what exatly I have here. It is marked S-58, has a Sportsman 58 gas system. but there is no roll mark design, it has an 1100 relief cut in the reciever, and a Feb '75 date code on a "58" marked barrel. It also has "REM GUN CLUB LORDSHIP" etched on the bottom of the barrel. The wood is also of a higher grade than standard.

Any kind of info would be appreciated. If anyone knows what it might be worth that would be awesome too.

Thanks
Virginian

Re: Help ID Oddball 58

Post by Virginian »

Probably an "experimental" fore runner of the 1100. I've seen an 1100 with no rollmarking except the serial number.
What could have happened... did.
ChuckD

Re: Help ID Oddball 58

Post by ChuckD »

wmterry,
I also have one of these oddball 58's. It's my opinion that these were made up from left over parts, after the 1100
was introduced. Mine has the same frame as yours, except the left side of my receiver only has Remington, not S-58. The serial No. on mine is where it is on yours, but it is 58 208. My plain barrel is from an 878 and is date coded BF 1/59. When I figure out how to post photos, I will.
It's obvious that yours was used at Remington's Gun Club, and may have been assembled just for use there.
This is my best guess!