16gauge 1100 parts questions0 op handle and carrier assembly

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Gmountain

16gauge 1100 parts questions0 op handle and carrier assembly

Post by Gmountain »

I just picked up a1968 16ga 1100. Some previous owner had apparently drilled and tapped the right side of the reciever for some sort of mount. 4 small screws near the top of the right side. Beat me what it is, but the price on the gun was good and everything else is nice.

Now, a couple of questions.

1. Is the carrier assembly the same size for the 12, 16, and 20 gauge models?

2. If I want a spare operating handle, was the original color blue or nickel. This one has the dimple on the bottom.

Thanks.
Virginian

Re: 16gauge 1100 parts questions0 op handle and carrier asse

Post by Virginian »

Carrier is the same on 12, 16, and 20 Standard. Operating handles were blued. The new ones have a dimple on the bottom and the back so you can't get them mixed up and lose one. Like I did.
What could have happened... did.
Gmountain

Post by Gmountain »

Virginian wrote:Carrier is the same on 12, 16, and 20 Standard. Operating handles were blued. The new ones have a dimple on the bottom and the back so you can't get them mixed up and lose one. Like I did.
:lol: So the older style just has the dimple on the bottom. Good to know.

Now I have another question- sorry- but if I was to buy a carrier, just to have an extra, are the older ones different from the new ones? Any way to tell?
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

I misspoke earlier. 12 & 16 are the same, Std. 20 is different. New ones same as old, but if you get one with an extended carrier release button they no longer make those with the chrome button. :cry: In my experience, you VERY rarely need a spare carrier, but a spare carrier latch can come in real handy if yours gets bent. Only part I have ever had fail on 13 Model 1100s/11-87s, including my '63 with over 115,000 rounds, is one extractor. I have replaced about everything on other people's however.
What could have happened... did.