1900 Barrel Markings

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
dieNusse1

1900 Barrel Markings

Post by dieNusse1 »

Recently, another case of misinterpretation of grade characters stamped on a 1900 barrel occurred. As far as I know, other than the K, E and D, we have little or no information about the meaning of the rest of the characters associated with the grade stamp. The characters i'm aware of include X, ///, F, 2, 3, 15, 20, P, Y, L, W, G, (star) and A1. The possible exceptions are X and /// that may indicate 16 and 12 gauge respectively.

Today, in an age where almost every product is defined by its' own UPC, SKU and required government labeling etc., it's difficult to relate to an age when not much store was given to labeling. Even the gauge and chamber lengths were not marked on these fine guns!

So what do we know about the evolution of the 1900? We know that the K and KED versions were first offered in 1900. The KD version was introduced in 1903 followed by the KE in 1906.

Changes to the K grade over the years that I know of include:

1. Butt stock side panel changed to match the 1894 style about 1908
2. Flat butt plate replaced the Niedner style about 1906
3. A major design change affecting both the 1900 and 1894 was the replacement of the one piece hammer/firing pin with a floating firing pin system. This took place sometime during 1902 - 1903 (?).
4. The barrel lug underwent changes beginning about 1906 and appears to involve cost reduction measures, as the lug and tip bolt became less complicated to machine
5. The last variation I'm aware of is the "Lite 12". A standard frame from a 1902 K measures ~2 3/8" across the bolsters and ~1 5/8" across the water table as compared to a "Lite 12" frame from a 1910 KED which measures ~2 1/4" across the bolsters and ~1 1/2" across the water table. I assume the "Lite 12" uses a 16 gauge frame but not having access to a 16 gauge I don't know if this is true.

So, are any of these changes and variations reflected in the barrel stampings? Is there any pattern or trend as to how the stampings progress over time? Does it matter?

Even though the meanings of K, E and D are known they are to some extent unnecessary because the gun will tell all. For example, if the gun has a snap-on forearm versus a Purdy release, it's a K grade. As for the E, it is very evident whether it has extractors or ejectors when the gun is opened. Finally, it should be clear whether it has Remington or damascus steel barrels. Unfortunately, and I can relate from personal experience, the damascus pattern may be "hidden" due to refinishing. Here the presence of a D is useful.

To me, the question is whether or not it would be worth the effort to try and determine what these characters mean. While it may prove to be an interesting exercise, I'm not sure we would learn all that much.

Comments?
Researcher

Re: 1900 Barrel Markings

Post by Researcher »

I only have a pair of Model 1900 KE-Grades and they are of 1907 and 1909 vintage and you covered their markings. A 1909 vintage KE-Grade 16-gauge --

A 1906 vintage KE-Grade 12-gauge --

Are you going to be at the seminar in Cody in September?
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Sorry to say but I'll be stuck in Peoria on the banks of the mighty Illinois along with the Asian carp.

2 questions - what are the measurements across the water table and bolster on your 16? What are the barrel lengths?
Last edited by dieNusse1 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

My 16-gauge KE-Grade has 28-inch barrels. It measures 1 9/16" across the watertable and 2 3/16" across the bolsters. Firing pin spacing is 1" center-to-center. The prize of my collection, my DEO-Grade 16-gauge, also has 28-inch barrels. The watertable width and firing pin spacing on the DEO are the same, but the bolsters were filed down flush with the barrels and are 2 1/8" across. Both are husky 16-gauges!! The DEO-Grade weighs right on 7 pounds and the KE-Grade weighs 6 pounds 15.3 ounces.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was wrong assuming the "Lite 12" used a 16 frame as yours measures 1/16" less than mine across both the water table and bolsters.

As to your DEO - the bolsters should be flush with the barrels. It's my theory that K grade bolsters were designed to be proud of the barrels to reduce fitting costs.