Model 11 Magazine Spring Follower

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
The Rattler

Model 11 Magazine Spring Follower

Post by The Rattler »

My 1937 Model 11's magazine spring follower does not restrain the magazine spring securely. I don't know if my nomenclature is correct, but I am talking about the round piece of metal that has a small open space preventing it from being a completed met circle. This device fits above the magazine spring & is meant to restrain the magazine spring.

The problem is that during cleaning, a slight bump can, but not always, result in the spring & this device dangerously flying out. It is unpredictable.

Is this normal? Is there a fix flor it? Is there a device available that will be more secure? To prevent this, must I remove the spring every time I clean the shotgun? I field clean the gun after every use & prefer not to have to remove the spring with each cleaning. By field cleaning, I mean removing the barrel & forestock for cleaning & general maintenance.

All suggestions will be appreciated.
Virginian

Re: Model 11 Magazine Spring Follower

Post by Virginian »

Remington used the same style magazine spring retainer on just about all repeater shotguns up until about 1987. It sounds like yours is just a little overcompressed, because it should not come out on it's own. Get a new one.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacture ... esults=All
What could have happened... did.