Help. In need of Remington Model 1900 forend with wood

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
ODHA_INC

Help. In need of Remington Model 1900 forend with wood

Post by ODHA_INC »

Good morning. I am new to the forum. I recently inherited a 12 bore Remington Model 1900 SxS shotgun. This old shotgun bears serial number Q358500 and was made in 1905. This is a NON-ejector model. The condition is fair to good, but its is still tight. It is missing the forend iron and wood. It uses a "J" hook lever/spring that snap fits into the barrel lug channel. The knuckle at the front of the action measures 1.64". I have searched Numerich Arms, Gun Broker, Guns American, and Ebay but have not located my part. I have considered buying a rough one and salvaging the parts, but this has always seemed wrong, and expensive. I contacted every obsolete parts dealer listed on Remington's Website and struck out. I understand this old double is over 100 years old and should be treated accordingly if and when it is fired. I believe the chamber length to be 2 5/8" and I have a small supply of low pressure shells from RST. I also reload light loads when needed. It will mostly be a wall hanger, used only on special hunts once or twice a year.

I know spare forends don't come cheap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Ryan

http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/ODHAINC/library/ This is a link for pics of the barrel.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help. In need of Remington Model 1900 forend with wood

Post by admin »

ODHA_INC wrote:Good morning. I am new to the forum. I recently inherited a 12 bore Remington Model 1900 SxS shotgun. This old shotgun bears serial number Q358500 and was made in 1905. This is a NON-ejector model. The condition is fair to good, but its is still tight. It is missing the forend iron and wood. It uses a "J" hook lever/spring that snap fits into the barrel lug channel. The knuckle at the front of the action measures 1.64". I have searched Numerich Arms, Gun Broker, Guns American, and Ebay but have not located my part. I have considered buying a rough one and salvaging the parts, but this has always seemed wrong, and expensive. I contacted every obsolete parts dealer listed on Remington's Website and struck out. I understand this old double is over 100 years old and should be treated accordingly if and when it is fired. I believe the chamber length to be 2 5/8" and I have a small supply of low pressure shells from RST. I also reload light loads when needed. It will mostly be a wall hanger, used only on special hunts once or twice a year.

I know spare forends don't come cheap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Ryan

http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/ODHAINC/library/ This is a link for pics of the barrel.
I think 1096.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I've seen forearms on eBay from time to time. Just have to wait until another one appears.

Also members on the board might be able to help. I'd start with Garland Jackson @ 330-669-2138.

As an aside, what grade characters are stamped on the barrel? They appear to be ///KA1.

The 1900 K grade was offered in four versions. K, KE, KD and KED where the E stands for ejectors and the D indicates damascus steel barrels. Prices in 1906 - 09 were:

K - $30
KE - $35
KD - $35
KED - $40.

In any event - good luck.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Those are actually the "list prices". Actual net selling prices were lower --

Forearms do show up in ebay from time to time. I bought an Ansley H. Fox A-Grade 20-gauge in need of a "correct" forearm in 1984. It took a quarter century of looking, but I did finally come up with one from ebay.