Model 31-T and /or 31-TC questions

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
MP-43

Model 31-T and /or 31-TC questions

Post by MP-43 »

Hello all,

I have asked for input on this topic on several other boards w/o success, and was advised to check here; hopefully you can help me. I recently found a model 31-T with a four digit serial number 90xx, and what I think is a decent price, but before I grab it, I'd like to get some information on what these guys are supposed to look like. I'm also confused as to the difference (if any) between the T and the TC(the one in question is simply a "31-T"). The wood on the one I found has some very nice figure, and the checkering appears to be in good shape as well. There is a very old, somewhat over-sized orange recoil pad w/ a black spacer on the butt, which I assumed was added later, and where the stock meets the back of the receiver, it appears that the receiver is "proud" of the stock on the top--as if the stock had slide down a mm or two where it meets the receiver. The stock shows no evidence of sanding or recutting of the checkering, and the over-all appearance is of an honest, well-used trap gun. Can you advise what a "correct" early 31-T is supposed to look like?

Appreciate any info or photos you would like share.

Thanks in advance,
Todd
Researcher

Re: Model 31-T and /or 31-TC questions

Post by Researcher »

In the Remington catalogue that first introduces the Model 31 there are two Trap Guns offered. The Model 31TC "DeLuxe Trap Gun" has a vent rib, a big forearm with finger grooves above the checkered part, and a capped full pistol grip. The Model 31S "Trap Special" has a solid rib, a smaller checkered forearm similar to the Model 31A "Standard Grade, and a capless pistol grip. Both the trap guns stocks have high thick combs and came with the Hawkins recoil pad with the heart-shaped openings. The Model 31 trap gun offerings are the same in the 1933, 1934, 1936, 1938 and 1939 illustated price lists, though they all call the Model 31TC "Target" Grade. By 1942 the Model 31s have the bigger trigger group and the only trap gun offered is the Model 31TC, and they offered an optional "extension" forearm. After WW-II the Model 31S was again available and both trap guns were standard with the "extension" forearm. I don't find a Model 31T listed in any of my old Remington paper from the years the Model 31 was being built?
MP-43

Post by MP-43 »

Great info, thanks for the reply. The one I am looking at has the vent rib, and extended forend, however the stock is capless, and shows no evidence of a screw hole-any thoughts on that? It does have the original Hawkins recoil pad, though one of the spacers is cracked. It's on layaway, so when I pick it up, I will be sure to post photos.

Thanks again,
Todd
MP-43

Post by MP-43 »

Picked up my 31-T yesterday, and here are some pics and questions.
The barrel code indicates June '32 production.

What is the purpose of the small hole in the face of the trigger? Assume it is for adjustment, but I have not seen this on other 31's before--is it unique to the trap guns?

Simply marked "31-T" No "TC".

Nicely figured stock, with puffed out Hawkins pad

Capless pistol grip

Forend

Overall view

Appreciated any info.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The receiver and forward looks like the 31-TC pictured in the 1932 catalogue. Your stock looks like the stock fo9r a 31-S. Who knows what could have been done to a trap gun over 76 years!! Don't know about the hole in the trigger.
johnpe

Post by johnpe »

At one time I owned a Rem M31T with serial number 5566. The gun you are thinking of purchasing - and by now have probably already purchased - looks exactly like the one I had. They are great guns. The only problem I had was someone had messed up the trigger and there were ZERO replacements of that vintage. I couldn't get a decent pull with the one I had, so I sold it. In searching I did find a couple of later editions of M31 triggers but they wouldn't fit in the gun's trigger group. This gun also had the only factory stock I've seen that had a 1" or thereabouts drop at the comb. It was VERY straight.
MP-43

Post by MP-43 »

Hi John,

Thanks for the input. I removed the recoil pad to get the stock off, and in the stock bolt channel, I found a folded up piece of cardboard wrapped around two wood screws(?). It was a membership card for the Amateur Trap Shooting Society of America for the year 1934-35, with the original owner's name (same one that is engraved on the receiver) on it:

I still haven't gotten the stock off to check if the serial number matches, but at the least, this was a fun surprise.
reaboy

Post by reaboy »

Congratulation on your find in the 31-T. My father has the identical gun with serial number 86XX. I have only seen one other 31-T. Saw plenty of 31-TC though. We messed up and didn't purchase a 31-T within 10 digits of ours in Shotgun News back in the early 80's (when shotgun news had pages and pages of used shotguns listed). That recoil pad is definietly original, and it looks like the stock was shortened a bit. My father's had the stock shortened by about 1" by the second owner. We made some spacers for it, and at the time (70's) didn't realize that pad was original. I carved it up a bit with a grinder to give it some curvature and some "bite" since it was hardened and dryed out over the years.

My father purchased it in 1961 or 1962 and is the third owner. The second owner only hunted with it. In 1961 my father had purchased a NEW M12 for something like $155 but it shot a foot left and a foot low at 40 yards. He had been bugging this old guy that owned the M31 for a very long time and he finally decided to let it go but only if my father promised to never let it leave our family - he gave him $175 for it - $20 more than a new M12 for a gun that was already 30 years old and had been used a bunch. Ours has a grip cap, and I suspect yours may have also. Our grip extends down quite a bit lower than yours so I would guess they had short screws and may have just sanded the holes out. Our wood looks about identical to yours - figure, color, checkering, forearm shap, etc.........our stock was black with oil when my father got it.......he had to soak it in an acetone bath for days to lift the oil.

Todd
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

When I was at The Vintage Cup in late September, Mid-South Guns had a bunch of the old Hawkins recoil pads. Anyone wanting to return their Model 31 Trap gun to original configuration should get a pad or two from Mid-South.
lowgun

Post by lowgun »

ln 1934, John Mulligan lived at 412 North State Street in Belvedere. He shot 1500 16 yard birds and averaged .9373. He shot 450 handicap birds and averaged .8911. He shot 100 doubles and only broke 66 of them. He was obviously just getting used to the pump gun. He was in rough company in Illinois at that time because Mark Arie and Homer Clark were also Illinois shooters.
royski

Post by royski »

:? :?: im trying to find out age and worth of my rem.31-T 12 ga. pump with two no. matching barrels one a 30 inch full chock and the other a 26 inch with skeet stamped all no. matching model 31-T didnt know they come with two barrels thankyou
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

You shouldn't hijack an old thread. Start a new one if you want to ask a question.

We need to know the serial number of your gun to look up when it was built. There should also be date codes, two or three letters, on the left side of the barrels, just in front of the receiver. Often an inspector's mark there as well. In the first few years Model 31s were being built, when they marked trap guns 31-T instead of 31-TC, Remington wasn't yet offering "skeet guns" so your skeet barrel may well be a later addition. Up through 1934, the only "skeet gun" I find Remington Arms Co., Inc. offering was their Model 32 Skeet Gun. I don't have a 1935 catalogue, but by the 1936 catalogue they are offering The "Sportsman"--Skeet Gun and the Model No. 31--Skeet Gun.

As far a worth goes, condition and factory originality are everything in determining value of these old guns. Darn few 80 year old trap guns haven't been well used and seriously messed with over the years. I can picture anywhere from $200 to $2000. We'd need to see several good pictures to even come close.
royski

Post by royski »

hi and sorry for jacking a thread serial no. on gun is 5574 ,same no. on both barrels 5574 matching one is a 26 inch with skeet stamped on it and the other a 30 inch with full stamped on it both barrels with 5574 on them just like on receiver 5574 ser. no., on barrels also the letters dc3 on the 26inch on the 30 inch it says dc3rz and a sunshine symbel ill try a gewt a picture not togood on the computer and thankyou again hope this helps ...... Roy :) :roll:
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Now we are rolling. Your gun is a very early gun. Serial number 5574 was begun in work the week of September 18-25, 1931. The date code on the 30-inch barrel, RZ is November 1931. The DC3 on both barrels is a Remington date code for repair (3) and means your gun was back to Ilion in either September 1934, or more likely September 1956, for the addition of the skeet barrel. D in the first position = September and C in the second position is either 1934 or 1956. I'm guessing 1956, because Remington Arms Co., Inc. wasn't catalogueing a Model 31 Skeet Gun yet in 1934.

Sounds like a great set. I just made a Model 31-TC skeet gun. I had picked up a 1949-vintage Model 31-TC in a multi-gun trade some years back, but it had been messed with by some previous owner having it fitted with an ITC choke tube with .054" chole!! Too tight for any good use. The barrel was originally modified. Through blind luck, I stumbled onto a good 30-inch modified vent rib Model 31-TC barrel, and it even had a 1949 date code!! So, I had my very good machinist buddy fit the new barrel to my gun. Once that was done and everything working fine, I had him whack the barrel with the choke tube thru the first rib support and reset the front bead. Makes a great skeet gun, I've already run several 25 straights with it. But, it is not near a rightious as your gun sounds to be!
royski

Post by royski »

,thankyou so much for the info. wow 1931, most of the blueing is worn off the rec. barrels are in better shape and wood is not bad would i lessen the value if i refinished the wood and reblued the gun ? or should i just clean it and oil it up, it looks ready for shooting thankyou again Roy