Remington 878 Automaster MAYBE VERY RARE!

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
kensguns

Remington 878 Automaster MAYBE VERY RARE!

Post by kensguns »

We are trying to find some info on this gun. The only thing we have found is
"There is even a lower production version of the 878 that is also overlooked. This is the Western Field 600-ERI. It was one of two models Remington ever made for another company, in this case Montgomery Wards. There were only 9,291 of these made in 1967 to 1970."
The main thing we are trying to find out is by looking at the serial # we believe this may be the first one off the line. The K and the P on the barrel would date it to May of 1967. If anyone has any insite on that, or any other history of this gun we would greatly apreciate it! This is also what we believe to be the original case that the gun came in.

ljd1100

Re: Remington 878 Automaster MAYBE VERY RARE!

Post by ljd1100 »

Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations on a great looking gun. Please contact me through these boards if you ever want to sell it. :wink:

I have a 1962 M878 ADL, and it shares a nearly identical engraving pattern. The checkering on the Western Field, is of course, different. The wood on your gun is also a much higher grade than the ADL Remingtons.

Hope you can verify if yours is the first WF 600A made. Best of luck to you!
remroc

Post by remroc »

The one I have is serial #4047264 made in August 1969. The checkering is the same but the wood on mine is very plain. However the pad on mine is marked "Western Field".
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

The issue which will seriously impact it's value is that it is not a Remington 878 Automaster. It is a Wards Western Field 600.
What could have happened... did.
brazos

Post by brazos »

That's the prettiest wood I've ever seen on a Remington product. Although it's nearly 4 years after you initially posted it to the Society forum, I only stumbled upon this forum a month ago. Do you still have it? I also saw your post on the Gunbroker forum--I hope no one has talked you out of it.
remroc

Post by remroc »

Mine was made in August 1969. It has plain wood and the Western Field pad. It is serial # 4047264.