Remington Model 1900 Double Barrel Shotgun

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
ilgunmkr

Re: Remington Model 1900 Double Barrel Shotgun

Post by ilgunmkr »

I just acquired a Model 1900, 12 gauge, with two sets of barrels (all matching numbers), in a case. I intend to pass this on to my son, who is very fond of both Remingtons and double shotguns. The serial number is 309719. There is no "2" below the serial number. This gun is in pristine condition in every way. The case was obviously built for this shotgun, but by what maker is not known to me. There is a box of Remington brass cases in a compartment inside the shotgun case. The headstamp on them is REM-UMC No. 12 BEST. This gun does not appear to have damascus barrels. Any thoughts?
Researcher

Re: Remington Model 1900 Double Barrel Shotgun

Post by Researcher »

Serial number 309719 would be a 1901 vintage gun. In the 1901 Remington Arms Co. literature they only catalogued two grades of the Model 1900, the Grade K with Remington Steel barrels and a plain extractor, and the Grade K.E.D. with Damascus barrels and selective automatic ejectors. Remington Arms Co. didn't show any cases in their catalogues of that era. The first Remington Arms Co. catalogue that I've found that shows gun cases is 1908 --

There is no "2" below the serial number.
On the Watertable? Or, on the barrel flats of the number two set of barrels and on the forearm for the number two set of barrels?