Remington Model 1900 Double Barrel Shotgun

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Double_Barrel

Re: Remington Model 1900 Double Barrel Shotgun

Post by Double_Barrel »

Researcher,
Wow! those are some nice guns. The top ribs are flat on both sets of 16 ga barrels and yes the safety is the early style.

Thanks!

Double_Barrel
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Double_Barrel From the pictures you have a early gun the trigger guard has two screws, the stock is smooth back of the receiver there is no Q in front of serial number.This tell me its early one piece pins You can check the pins with the gun cock take the barrels off point the receiver down see if the firing pins stick out you may have to bump it they don't come out there one piece. The bump safety was used on both style firing pins.
Last edited by 2shooter on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Double_Barrel

Post by Double_Barrel »

2Shooter,
Thanks for the info I will check it tonight. The serial number on the trigger guard does have a Q in front though.

Double_Barrel
haroldlee

Post by haroldlee »

Outstanding site..every thing Remington. I have in my hand a 1900, a little rough but a project I feel is worth pursueing. SN. is Q380439, choke numbers are 45/36...bbls measure 26 13/16. Bet I know what that means. Now heres my question, instead of K,KE,KED...I have..LKA, clear as the day it was stamped. Its steel, not damascus. I'll have a few other questions but it is late and I have a date with an 11/87 and a couple of beagles in the morning. Thanks for any input anyone may have.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Q380439 would be a 1909 gun. Those marks down the bottoms of the barrels do not necessarily equate to the grade of the gun. At least not in a straight forward manner that we have been able to interpret. If your gun is a Remington Steel barrel gun with extractors it is a K-Grade. If it has ejectors it is a KE-Grade.

Those odd length barrels have very likely been cut.
haroldlee

Post by haroldlee »

Thanks, Thought I had ejectors...The tang that hooks the bbls cams the extractors out doesn't it?...It is smooth (closes like a vault) but doesn't pop out with the clink I'm used to hearing when opening on newer model ejectors...extractors..I'm sure are what is on this gun. Were all the 1900's chambered the same? (12ga..2 5/8). If so any 2 5/8 shells available on this earth? I have to thank those with the knowledge for sharing. I have a couple more Remingtons and will be scoping out the other post concerning them...already found most questions are already answered if one digs a little so we'll try not to be redundant. Great information pool..Heck last week I couldn't even spell "1900" now I have a gun with extractors and shoots a 2 5/8s shell made in 1909 and.........
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I don't know of anyone loading 12-gauge shells stated to be 2 5/8 inches currently. Plenty of companies like RST offer low pressure 2 1/2 inch shells. There are no issues with shooting 2 3/4 inch shells in 2 5/8 inch chambers, AS LONG AS THE PRESSURES ARE SUITABLE FOR THE GUN IN QUESTION. In fact, both the A.H. Fox Gun Co. and Parker Bros. held their chambers 1/8 inch shorter that the intended shell, believing that the case mouth extending that far into the forcing cone cushoned the shot as it passed and improved patterns. In the 1930's there were a couple of articles in The American Rifleman (July 1936 and March 1938) on the virtue of short chambers. In Sherman Bell's series "Finding Out For Myself" in The Double Gun Journal there were a couple of articles on tests showing no significant increase in pressure from shooting shells in slightly short chambers.

Probably the vast majority of these old short-chambered doubles that have been in service during the last 90 years have digested plenty of modern SAAMI spec 2 3/4 inch shells. I know for a fact that my Father's 1896 vitage AE-Grade Remington Hammerless Double digested many cases of 2 3/4 inch Western Super-X/Remington Nitro Express/Federal Hi-Power type shells from the 1940s when he got it to the late 80s when he quit hunting and is still in good shape down in my gunroom.

I'm not recommending this practice, just stating fact. For volume shooting at clay targets I hand load 12-gauge 2 3/4 inch Remington STS cases with 7/8 ounce of shot at 1200 fps and 6300 psi for use in my old doubles. I like this load so well I use it in all my guns except autoloaders.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

haroldlee Is the extractor one piece or two? The ejectors are in the forend. They will not click,or kick the shell out until fired.Somebody may have disabled them.
Double_Barrel

Post by Double_Barrel »

Researcher,
Great picture of your dad! It is great when you have family history with a firearm that you get to use.

Double_Barrel
haroldlee

Post by haroldlee »

Researcher, I believe you've given me the info I need on the shells, thank you. Looks like a good enough reason to get that handloader i've been wanting. I take your info as just info and not a recommendation. Thanks 2Shooter, I see a split on some guns.(two piece?) I bet those are ejectors. Mine is one piece..(extractor?). Read on another post about gun ejecting only the spent shell...Can't spit out only one shell if its both or none(one piece.) We would be picking up that live shell if it was ejected every time. Not a problem if it is only extracted. A little common sense can go a long way here if I apply some. You leaned me in the right direction. Thanks. Correct me if I'm off track! . I hope to have her up and running soon. I need a stock and got a line on one local last night.
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

Here's a picture of my Dad and I taken on Maryland's Chester River in the 50's. He later bacame a Remington Director
Attachments
miller's Island [].jpg
miller's Island [].jpg (50.52 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
Double_Barrel

Post by Double_Barrel »

tudurgs,
Great picture, do you remember what shotgun was used to get the ducks?

Double_Barrel
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

M31 30" matted rib. I still shoot the gun. Had a Briley thin wall steel shot choke installed, and the gun is still my favorite duck gun
Double_Barrel

Post by Double_Barrel »

Does someone have a picture of what the internal parts look like on a 16 guage model 1900 forend with ejectors? mine is missing parts and I do not know what the parts that are missing look like.

Thanks a bunch.
farmer jack

Post by farmer jack »

I noticed this thread and had to post some additional info: I have a 1900, 16 gauge with the ser# 341439 The barrels are stamped XKG 11 . This gun has been in the family for ~70years. I'm not sure of the manufacture date, but it has been a great hunting gun for years and i've shot standard 2-3/4" shells through it for years w/ no i'll effect. I love this gun!!