model 700 7mm exp

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
stormoth

model 700 7mm exp

Post by stormoth »

Hello, new here hoping someone can answer a question about a rifle I was just given. It is a model 700 7mm exp serial#A6819028 Question is why cant I find any like it for sale anywhere? I can find all kinds of them with 280 marked on them but have not been able to find any marked 7mm exp like mine. Can anyone give me some info and perhaps estimate of value. Thanks for any help
600RemGuy

Re: model 700 7mm exp

Post by 600RemGuy »

7mm Express Remington roll mark only lasted a few years in the late '79 into the early 80's. Value depends on too many factors to get into here. Not overly rare, but may be sought by a few. Yours was built in or around late 1979. Shoot any 280 ammo and enjoy. Now, try to find one in 7mm-06 :D
Last edited by 600RemGuy on Fri May 01, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stormoth

Post by stormoth »

Thank You everyone for the info I appreciate it good site quik answers!!!
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Was poking around and found a figure of around 4000-that's the number that left the factory with the 7mm Exp Rem roll mark. A few years after your rifle, some with both calibre destinations-7mm Exp Rem and 280 Rem-were released. About a 1000 rifles hit the market so marked in 1987, 4 years after the death of the 7mm name. Just before your rifle, in 1979, they released rifles marked 7mm-06, one of which I happened upon a few years back. It started life as the "280", got its name changed twice, and is once again and hopefully forever will be, the "280". You've got a small piece of history but don't forget to enjoy it
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

600RemGuy wrote:7mm Express Remington roll mark only lasted a few years in the frpm late '79 into the early 80's. Value depends on too many factors to get into here. Not overly rare, but may be sought by a few. Yours was built in or around late 1979. Shoot any 280 ammo and enjoy. Now, try to find one in 7mm-06 :D
This thread has been of interest to me as I have a 7mm Exp. (BDL with nicely figured stock) which I purchased (used, but in beautiful condition) in 1992. The date code indicates it was built/barreled in January of 1980 (BA) but the serial number is A3201XXX. Somewhere back in the 1990s I called Remington to get some dates for serial numbers of some firearms I have (before I was aware of the barrel codes) and was told that this serial number was from 1975. I have no reason to think it was rebarreled, so I suspect this is another one of those instances where they used an action from their inventory to build a rifle at a later date. I have a few others that vary by a year or two, but I think this is the widest date gap I have (if the information from Remington was correct).
Edit: I just remembered that my 721 in .264 Win. Mag was built in '61 with an action from '56.

In a conversation with Tim McCormack (custom shop) back in 1993, he told me about the 7mm-06 debacle. I was under the impression that there had been some brass with that head-stamp, but wasn't aware that there were actually rifles with that designation that made it into the "outside world".

Den
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Dan, your serial number is correct for the year and month it was assembled. It has something to do with duplicate serial numbers which I have never been able to wrap my head around. I don't believe that your receiver was 5 years old when the rifle was built. It is explained in John Lacy's book "The Remington 700".
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

600RemGuy wrote:Dan, your serial number is correct for the year and month it was assembled. It has something to do with duplicate serial numbers which I have never been able to wrap my head around. I don't believe that your receiver was 5 years old when the rifle was built. It is explained in John Lacy's book "The Remington 700".
OK. Hmmmmm. Thanks for that info.
I just thought it interesting that there was a difference of several hundred thousand serial numbers between stormoth's rifle and mine......and since the 7mm Exp. came out in '79.....only being available for a few years.

Den