Mystery Rolling Block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
glayrem

Re: Mystery Rolling Block

Post by glayrem »

Graham,
If at all possible, could you remove the forearm and inspect beneath the barrel for markings. If the arm was transformed or manufactured in Belgium, this area would most certainly be chock full and reveal numerous details such as the Liege proof, bore diameter or caliber, and sometimes manufacturers initial i.e. AF in an oval for Auguste Francotte et al. This may be an area where definitive anwers may lie unnoticed! If you do at least find ANY type of markings, cartouches, and such please photograph this. Also removal of the buttstock and see if any casting or serial/lot numbers are present would also be of great ineterst! Best
George Layman
griaguns

Post by griaguns »

I have stripped off the wood and cannot find any marks any where,Graham
john hamilton

Post by john hamilton »

As to the Enfield reference: My 1862 Tower has a different profile at the wrist. However, the pin through the stock under the rear sight is the same and the fore-end cap looks similar. Also, the rear sight looks like a reversed Enfield. The Enfield even has the 1-2-3 on the side.
tjack

Post by tjack »

Graham,
Would it be possible for you to get a chamber cast of this rifle? I'm very curious about it's caliber. Thanks!
Tom
griaguns

Post by griaguns »

I have taken a 577-450 and cut the neck back too just in front of the shoulder,expanded it to 50 cal and am ready to fire form it.I have taken a chamber cast and thats how i came up with the original specs.Graham
tjack

Post by tjack »

Graham,
Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay in mine. I left on 4/16 to go to Calif. for a turkey hunt and the day I returned my computer crashed. Just got it back. So, how did your cut-down .577/450 work? It sounds like somewhere along the line that the chamber got modified although I have little info on cartridges used in that part of the world. Maybe some obscure Persian rim fire barrel converted to center fire with a rolling block action???
Tom
SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

This looks similar, on a contract Lee-Enfield SMLE made for the Siamese Government:

More info at: http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/fe23.htm

Matt
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is
strong enough to take everything you have - Thomas Jefferson

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
In this life we get nothing save by effort - Theodore Roosevelt