1964 Remington 700 ADL? 30.06 - factory 20" barrell????????

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
spinfix

1964 Remington 700 ADL? 30.06 - factory 20" barrell????????

Post by spinfix »

Anyone know anything about that. Looks Like an ADL. Serial is 93352. Barrel Marks are 7BL32. Non jeweled bolt, No black caps, has bolt lock safety, no letters in serial number, barrel says 30.06 and has patents from the 49' extractor, and the 50' firing pin, no others. Pachmayr White Line butt plate with 1961 patent. Now.... 20" barrel! Am I missing something totally newby like? I can't find any instance of a 20" 30.06 barrel anywhere on the internet. It's not cut (I am not a smith but as far as I can tell, sites are correct and in the right place). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wulfman

Re: 1964 Remington 700 ADL? 30.06 - factory 20" barrell????????

Post by Wulfman »

I've run across one or two over the years in the 20" barrel length. I think they called it a "carbine length" barrel. My oldest catalog is from 1968, but in one paragraph, it says:
"LONG 22" BARRELS are now standard on the following rifles: 6 m/m Rem., 243 Win., 270 Win., 30-06 and 308 Win. Varmint and Magnum Calibers are unchanged at 24" and Safari Calibers at 26"."

Den
spinfix

Post by spinfix »

Den, I really appreciate your post. My Particular problem is this: I collect mostly ww2 mislurp rifles and spend a lot of time figuring out Mausers and Mosin Nagants etc as a hobby with my sons, yeah it's like detective work for those who care about it. I work for a construction company in Las Vegas and no surprise that's not too great right now. My boss has been doing a lot of estate auction buying and tasked me with selling off tools. When I couldn't get a bid of a reasonable price for some welding equipment, I got a trade offer for this rifle. I told him let me just do this and I'll put it up for sale on this long weekend and at least get $300. for it asap and he said fine. The minute I post this rifle for that it will be gone. Hunting rifles are not my thing, so i just figured I'd check out what it's worth. When I found the 20" barrel and couldn't find any reference to one officially I figured I must be making a mistake, or this is something different. I won't basterdize an original configuration milsurp rifle but i do have a couple of bastards that i love cause they were done in a way that makes them historicaly signafigant. If it is a historical piece I'll fight hell over high water and keep it. If it's just a random variant that no one really knows or cares about then I'll sell it and try to post it as an a reasonably priced alternative to a tactical (I was a soldier and some of the current tactical culture annoys the shit out of me) alternative to paying full price for a new short 30.06. Who does that anyway?

I would really appreciate if someone more in the community of people that care about these rifles would just let me know if the 20" feature makes it important or if it's just another low buck rifle I need to sell for my boss tomorrow.

Thank You,
Mike
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Model 700's came with the 20 inch barrel in the standard calibers for the first 2 years of production. Some call them carbine barrels, but if that was all that was offered, this statement isn't truly correct. As for as I know, Remington never called them carbines. Your 30-06 is one of the most common 20" calibers, with a few of the others more rare. It "may" be worth more to the right buyer, but you might look high and low for that person. If close to new-in-the-box, it should commend a higher price, otherwise, its really just another hunting rifle comparable to most others.
rembo

Post by rembo »

I had one last year...30-06 ADL Carbine 20" barrel

ser# was 112592

Didn't record the date code....:-(