Model 8 "F" Grade with a rubber butt pad? Bakelite

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Moparfrek

Model 8 "F" Grade with a rubber butt pad? Bakelite

Post by Moparfrek »

Hello all. I have a Remington Model 8 "F" grade in need of a butt plate. It originally had a slightly curved rubber butt pad. I noticed that after taking off the rubber butt pad, that the stock has a very slight curve in it.

It looks as though the stock is original and uncut. Now the big question: Did Model 8 high grade rifles come from the factory with rubber butt pads? If yes, where they orange in color? What was imprinted on the rubber?

Sorry for the questions as I am unsure if the rubber is original to the rifle. I would like to put the original "bakelite" or metal butt plate back on it to improve the looks.

I can supply pics of the stock and rubber butt plate if will help in identification.

Please email me if you have such an item that you can spare.

Regards, Al Gainey

High Grade Model 8s

Post by Guest »

I have been trying to look into this myself. So far the answer is no. Many people put pads on them, and some didnt trim the stocks to do so. This answers the curve to your stock. If you can, take off the pad and look on the underside for a maker. You may notice this is a Silvers pad like those used on other high quality rifles. If you do find out the answer, I would also really like to know. Sorry I could not be more helpful. I have found replacement hard rubber pads for your stock in my searches.

Rem Model 8 buttpad

Post by Guest »

I recently contacted Remingtons Historical Department and a lady named Kay send an e-mail reply back that they had no record of these rubber pads being installed by the factory. She stated that my rifle, a Remington M8 Grade 3 should have the hard rubber plate with a slight curve.
Moparfrek

The original orange rubber pad is a Jostam Anti-Flinch

Post by Moparfrek »

The original orange rubber pad is a Jostam Anti-Flinch. It looks as old as the rifle. I am having great dificulty locating another pad, or even an original plastic buttplate.

I have searched far and wide, and even at gun shows and have not found anything that will fit the stock measurments. The only thing close to fitting is a Remington shotgun buttplate.

The measurments are as follows:

From the top of the stock to the heel: 4 15/16 inches.
Width od the stock at it widest point: 1 3/4 inches.
Hole spacing for the screws: 3 5/16 inches.
The top screw hole is 21/32 from the top of the buttplate, and the bottom screw hole is 31/32 from the bottom of the buttplate.

Anyone have a buttplate that will fit this "F" Grade?

MAny thanks! Al Gainey
333_okh

Post by 333_okh »

In the book recent Remington Model 8 and 81 book, it is noted that for a nominal price of $3.50 you could have a factory installed buttpad added to your model 8. Some of these were Silvers, but others were also used. I have a rifle that has a silvers pad and a semi pistol grip. It appears mine might be original.