Do all Model 51s have serial numbers?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
Hawki72

Do all Model 51s have serial numbers?

Post by Hawki72 »

I recently obtained a Model 51 that is in nice shape, 9 serrations, no Remington trade mark, .380 marked on the barrel, but no serial number. There is no anchor marking. The only mark I can find is on the right side of the trigger (a tiny square with little arms extending from the four corners of the square,
Remington 51 trigger mark.jpg
Remington 51 trigger mark.jpg (32.99 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
see photo).

I would appreciate any information that can be gleaned from this information regarding the year of manufacture.

Thank you very much.

Hawkeye in Pittsburgh
Attachments
Remington 51 11_09.jpg
Remington 51 11_09.jpg (59.74 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
Gmountain

Re: Do all Model 51s have serial numbers?

Post by Gmountain »

I'm far, far from being an expert, but I didn't think the barrels on the early 9 serration guns were marked .380. Maybe you have some sort of mixmaster. I wonder. I hope someone chimes in.
Hawki72

Post by Hawki72 »

Although I have continued to search, is anyone able to address the original question of all Remington 51s have serial numbers? Mine doesn't have a serial number and I am curious to know how that might have occurred? Please see original post above for more description.

Thank you very much.

Hawkeye in Pittsburgh
remroc

Post by remroc »

Look in the current research section. Mark Hammond can probably answer your questions. I believe the square mark is called the sun mark.
Jrpmccoy

Post by Jrpmccoy »

That is not a "sun mark", Ed Buffaloe's article on the Remington clearly shows what they look like. The caliber marking came out when the Remington Trademark logo stamping did in 1921 or so. This looks to be a "lunchbox special" from who knows when other than 1918, 1919 or 1920 based upon the lack of caliber marking on the barrel. There is a leftover "useless feature" according to Gun Digest on the some of the early production barrels in the form of an additional notch that could help narrow it a little more but the only guns to leave a factory without serial numbers most likely did not do so from the shipping department.