Remington model 14 with factory case ??????

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
shaynewin

Remington model 14 with factory case ??????

Post by shaynewin »

I have a 25Rem model 14 which came with a case which is suppose to be factory original, the case is set up for a scope and the rifle is drilled and tapped. Gunshop said it had letters from factory but they lost them.

Gun shop sold the scope which they said was eary military sniper type scope, case looks the vintage of the rifle is it possible, this is a factory special order?? can anyone offer any ideas thanks
shot1too

Re: Remington model 14 with factory case ??????

Post by shot1too »

Shaynewin

If you can post a picture, it would help. There isn't much in writing on this subject. Remington did offer gun cases. Most were all leather or leather and canvas. They seem to favor takedown models (short cases with a place for the barrel and reciver held separately). I have seen written factory information that indicated you could order a rifle with a scope. As I remember, this would have been an early model exterior adjustment scope with target type mounts. In my opinion, the front mount would have been on the barrel. I don't think that this was an option untill late in the 1920ies. If you have an early rifle, I would say the work was after market.

As for factory letter, I will believe when I see it!

Loren
shaynewin

Post by shaynewin »

Thanks every bit helps,think the rifle dates from 1930's s/n 93422 will post photo of rifle in canvas case
Attachments
remington model 14.jpg
remington model 14.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

Your rifle is a little older. The receiver was made in 1925. I have never seen a Remington case like the one in your picture; however, that does not mean it isn't Remington I hope some other 14 collectors will make comments. The rifle looks original for date of manufacture. How are the holes spaced for the scope mount? Are there holes on the top of the barrel? Your rifle is an "A" grade model.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

The old I lost the factory letter story. I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard that. Well I think there are a few obvious things on this.I think the owner you purchased this from would have stuck the letter inside the case with the gun. There's plenty of room. Secondly I think if the letter stated that the gun was all special order Remington then he wouldn't be selling parts (scope) of the gun. I had a model 12 that came in a very similar case, but the case was not Remington, but it was period to the gun. I also had more of a mutton leg case and it was stamped REM.UMC. If it was sold by Remington there will be a part number on the case, and I should be able to go back through old catalogs and see if I can match it to the 14. You got a nice little set up in a great caliber.
shaynewin

Post by shaynewin »

Thanks for help guys, 2 holes in the top of action, was a deseased estate rifle, scope was like early military sniper which the dealer sold to a military collector for pretty big money over here in Australia they pay crazy money for that stuff. will have a look in the case for any numbers, it is model 14C whatever that means.
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

Your rifle is an "A" grade. When you say 14-C you would be saying it had high grade wood with checkering. So that you don't mislead others, you have a Model 14 or a Model 14-A. I didn't think of it before, but there will be a date code on the left side rear of the barrel. You can find the date code key on the home page of this site.