Shooting through brush - .35 Remington

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
CWarmouth

Shooting through brush - .35 Remington

Post by CWarmouth »

Hello Folks,

I've got another one for you...

I've heard people say that the .35 Remington is a good "brush gun". My deer hunting has always either been with a .243, 30.06, .270 Winchester, or bow and arrow. I have never shot through brush. At least not intentionally anyway. Is a 200 grain .35 Rem bullet able to shoot through brush without breaking apart or being deflected? Obviously a clear shooting lane is preferred, but CAN you shoot in pretty heavy cover and still make a good shot?

Thanks, as always,

Carl
Wulfman

Re: Shooting through brush - .35 Remington

Post by Wulfman »

Depends........

On what the meaning of "brush" is..... :lol: (to paraphrase B. Clinton)
(leaves, twigs, branches, trees)

On how close said "brush" is to either the shooter or the target.....
(the closer to the target, the less time the bullet has to change trajectory if it hits "brush")

On how desperate the shooter is to take the shot.....
(how big is the rack, how empty is the freezer or how much season is left?)

"Everything is relative".

Den
CWarmouth

Post by CWarmouth »

I realize that everything is relative and that common sense is required. Sometimes you have to say, "Wouldn't be prudent... not at this juncture" to paraphrase George Bush Sr. :D

The brush consists of small twigs, maybe some green briar, some water oak leaves... small stuff. I'm in a stand and there could be some canopy between me and the deer.

The shot is 50-60 yards max.

I'm not too desperate. I have plenty of meat in the freezer. If it was a doe or a small buck I'll let it walk. But let's say a really big buck comes through, bigger than anything I have shot. It's 60 yards away working a scrape (the rut starts in January in this part of Alabama) and there is not quite a perfectly clear shooting lane to the front shoulder. Speaking in broad, general terms, would a 200 g. .35 rem plow through? I'm not so desperate that I would risk wounding it and never see it again. I'd rather wait and take a chance that I might see it again. On the other hand I don't want to be overly conservative and not pull the trigger when I could have.

Carl
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

No bullet is immune from deflection, although heavy, slower bullets are thought to be best. There are too many variables. Will you hit a twig dead center or will you nick it? If you're hunting from a blind, why not clear out shooting paths? With a little work you can clear the canopy enough to get you a clear shot.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

To clear this up the 35 Remington is classified as a brush gun. The shooter needs to make the decision of a good shooting situation. The 35 is an EXCELLENT caliber, but I would step up to the 350 rem magnum and then you could leave all the other guns in the closet.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

remington600 wrote:To clear this up the 35 Remington is classified as a brush gun. The shooter needs to make the decision of a good shooting situation. The 35 is an EXCELLENT caliber, but I would step up to the 350 rem magnum and then you could leave all the other guns in the closet.
Agreed. I like my .35 Whelen, too (1988 Mdl. 700 Classic). It's the non-belted equivalent of the .350 Mag., based on the .30-06 case. Very accurate and plenty of power. It's been (and still is) available in bolt, pump and semi-auto Remington models.

Den
Playtimefun

Post by Playtimefun »

Hi Carl

Bullet deflection is more dependant upon the location of the brush in relation to the target then it is with bullet weight or velocity.

About 10 years ago Craig Boddington (I think???) did an article on what makes a good brush busting cartridge. So what he did was create a modified brush using rows of dowles placed vertically in a board. He then moved this "bush" anywhere from right in front of the target to right in front of the barrel. He used everything from a shotgun slug, a 45-70, a 30-06, a 308 and a 22-250 if I recall.

The results... it did not matter what bullet from what gun, there was deflection. And even those bullets coming from the 45-70 and the shotgun deflected more then a person would think.

Now his tests were done using 3/8 inch dowling if I remember correctly. So this is more heavier duty that a simple little leaf in front of you... but it was done to mimick hunting in bush. He did prove that lighter higher speed bullets will deflect more (or can because there was an instance where they did not as well), but that heavy slow bullets also deflected and a LOT more then a person thinks that they would.

The biggest factor is how close is the point of deflection to the target. If its right in front of the animal, odds are you will still hit it. If you are shooting through some grasses, then no big deal. If your shooting through heavy stuff, expect a deflection from anything you shoot. And if the material is directly in front of you and your shooting through it, then expect the bullet to hit someplace other then where you intended it to. And it could be only an inch over from where you aimed. There is no hard and fast way to judge it.

Tim
Recoil Rob

Post by Recoil Rob »

Have to agree with that, I read the Boddington experiment too. While not scientific, it was practical and his results led me to believe that all bullets will deflect in brush. A .35 will deflect less than a 22, but not enough less to guarantee a well placed shot.
CWarmouth

Post by CWarmouth »

Thank you for the replies!
Rickster

Post by Rickster »

Another factor to consider (besides deflection) is bullet performance. I once shot a buck with a 444 Marlin via a 2 inch sapling. The range was 25yds. The sampling was centered. The bullet was a 240gr flat soft point. It hit the point of aim, in the crease behind the shoulder, left a 6 inch entrance wound, sliced the heart and liver and mushed both lungs. The buck ran 50yds leaving a blood trail that looked like it had been poured out of a bucket.

Big bullets may not deflect any less than smaller ones, but they have the mass do the job even if disrupted. I imagine that bullet was in pretty bad shape by the time it got the the deer. I really don't think a lighter faster bullet would have done the job, even if it had hit the point of aim. It would have probably just left a nasty flesh wound. I would say that if you are going to shoot through brush, the 35 Rem with a heavy bullet is as good a choice as any.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I also read Boddington experiment. What I remember most was that it was a 308 150 gr. bullet that deflected the least. I was very surprised the 308 did better than say the 45-70.