Sportsman 48F

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
ljd1100

Sportsman 48F

Post by ljd1100 »

I saw an absolutely beautiful Sportsman 48F grade at a local gun show today. It was 12g, with two engraved barrels (the seller didn't know the chokes, and wouldn't let me measure them with my choke-checker device). I did not see any choke markings on the left side of either barrel, as engraving was in the way. The receiver was nicely engraved, with no gold. High grade wood with cut checkering. Recent aftermarket Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad.

I passed on this gun, since it came with no documentation. Is there any easy way to determine if an engraved Remington with nice wood is actually an "F" grade? If the seller had documentation wiith the gun, it may have been a different story. By the way, asking price for the two barrel set was $1875. Is this reasonable, assuming the gun was from the Remington Custom Shop?
Gene Myszkowski

Re: Sportsman 48F

Post by Gene Myszkowski »

Factory hand engraved firearms start with a clean receiver and the Remington logo, Model, grade and serial number are hand engraved either on the side or bottom of the receiver. See attached auction catalog pictures. Typical factory "F" grade engraving is 3 game scenes on each side but the engraver would do what the customer wants. A retiring DuPont executive was presented with a shotgun having nudes engraved on the side. The postwar engravers was discussed in the 4th Quarter 2008 issue of the RSA Journal.
Attachments
AModel 11-'48-  D grade - 5829179 - hand engraved Remington, model, grade and serial number.jpg
AModel 11-'48- D grade - 5829179 - hand engraved Remington, model, grade and serial number.jpg (77.9 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
38833x6.jpg
38833x6.jpg (148.37 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
ljd1100

Post by ljd1100 »

The RSA article on Custom Shop guns in 2008 was great - definitely a keeper for future reference.

Here's the seller's web site - offered at a much lower price! What do you guys think?

http://www.dallasguns.com/index.asp?cus ... uestnum=11

Were 25" and 21" barrels available from the Custom Shop?
Gene Myszkowski

Post by Gene Myszkowski »

Is it the 11-48 auto 12 1954 Premier offered by GP Firearms? If so you would need close ups of both sides, bottom and top of the receiver as well as pictures of the stock. The detail of the engraving is not clear on the website.

The 12 gauge barrels were normally 26" to 32". I have a record of one 870 with a 25" barrel in 1961.

As I mentioned in my presentation before the RSA Seminar this past summer - in the immediate postwar period many servicemen shipped rifles and shotguns overseas to Europe and Japan to be engraved at bargain basement prices. Some of the engravers were masters needing work and the results were spectacular.
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

based on the 2 pictures in the link provided, NO. Doesn't look factory to me, but I'm no expert.
That doesn't look like any Remington Factory engraving I've seen.
A 21" barrel sounds like one that has had a Cutts Compensator cut off (shortened barrel).
ljd1100

Post by ljd1100 »

Yes, this is the gun offered by GP Firearms.

It was quite nice looking, although I wonder what choke constrictions are in those 21" and 25" VR barrels. The engraving was very nicely done. However, I would not want to pay such a premium unless there was documentation confirming it came from Remington's Custom Shop.

For the sake of argument, does anyone know what sort of premium an "aftermarket" engraved Sportsman 48 would command these days? In my mind, standard field guns would occupy the low end, Custom Shop guns would take the top end, and any aftermarket wizardry would command mid-range prices. However, that may not be correct...