Model 141 Magazine feeding problem

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
AuSable

Model 141 Magazine feeding problem

Post by AuSable »

I recently became the owner of a Model 141 .35 that was built in 1940.
I am having a problem with the magazine follower. The follower does not stop at the loading door but slides under it which blocks movement of the door.
When I remove the magazine spring and the follower the door moves freely
On other 141 models that I have seen the follower stops when it about 3/16" under the front edge of the door . On this gun the follower does not stop and continues on blocking movement of the door.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Rickster

Re: Model 141 Magazine feeding problem

Post by Rickster »

I haven't seen that before. Nothing comes to mind off hand. Maybe later. If you figure it out please come back and post what you learned.

On second thought, check to make sure that the cartridge stop isnt missing. I cant remember if that will cause your problem or not, but it is a common to have the little retainer screw (item 3) back out and allow the stop to escape.
AuSable

Post by AuSable »

Rickster,
Thanks for your help.
I checked the cartridge stop and it is in place and the screw was tight.
I found a site online that sent me a copy of what they called a Remington Field Service Manuel .
Advice below:
Magazine Follower Comes too far back into Action Bar

Cause- Loading door and action bar cover out of adjustment.

Remedy- Bend middle of cover downward or fit new loading door.

I do not like the idea of bending the cover and can not see how that will help.
Maybe some one has other thoughts.
I would prefer to fit a new door .
Any suggestion on where to find one ?

Thanks again
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Hi!

I have found that responding to folks with M14/141 problems are a classic example of "no good deed goes unpunished". I will give it one last shot and try to offer up some "guidance". I have a "lot" of these rifles and work on them every day, here are some "observations" that I will pass on:

#1 All the followers on my .35's extend about 5/16" under the door.
#2 If yours passes all the way under the door it is NOT a cartridge stop problem.
#3 I have yet to find a buggered loading door, they are hardened and hard to mess up but I
suppose anything is possible.
#4 My best guess is that you have an undersize follower, maybe some boob who had the gun
before you replaced the follower with one of a smaller caliber OR maybe it is just undersize
and therefore slips by the door.

I base my conclusion (#4) on the fact that there is a definite lack of uniformity in the diamer of both tubes and followers. At the same time the uniformity on M141's was far better than M14's. In "my" experience I have also found that previous owners of these guns will dent the magzine tube during use and the follower will not pass through. Rather than take it to a "smith" to get the dent out of the tube (not an easy task) they will "attack" the follower by making it smaller to fit down the tube, then you end up with your situation.

OH! Just to make things more fun, early M141's could have either the old M14 style follower or the newer-longer one, I have guns with both.

Hope this provides some guidance!
Jim Peterson
AuSable

Post by AuSable »

Jim, I agree with your assesment.
I removed the loading door and it looks like it has had very little use.

The follower on my M 141 is 2" long.
The diameter of the first ring (closest to the bullet) is .469
The diameter of the second ring is .474

Is this consistant with other .35 Caliber Mod. 141 followers that you know of ?

Thanks for your help,
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Roger on your measurments, I really hate it when I come up with the right answer but where these guns are concerned you just never know.

I pulled the follower out of an M141, both rings are .485.
I went to my parts drawer and have an M14 follower that is .485.
I have an M14 follower with a label on it that says, ".35 Undersize and it measures .472.

Draw your own conclusion, somebody messed with it, does it look like it has been ground down? The fact you have two different diameters sure is an indication.

Hope you enjoyed your "loading gate" experience, sometimes they can be a bit "testy" to get back together. I would check your magazine tube for dents, as I said that maybe why the follower was messed with. I think Numrich does have a listing for a .35 M141 follower but what they send you might be another story, they are really good about returns.
Jim Peterson
AuSable

Post by AuSable »

Jim,
Thanks for your help and taking the time to measure the followers that you have.
Yes , the loading gate was a challange.
I will be checking with Numrich this morning.

Thanks again,
Ron Stokes
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I checked last night and they don't have a .35 for the M141 but they do have one for the M14. I see no reason that it would not work but that is one of the very few things I have not tried. But keep in mind if it does not work they will readily take it back and you are just out the postage.
Jim Peterson
AuSable

Post by AuSable »

Thanks Jim,
I will check out the M 14 follower at Numrich.

Ron
AuSable

Post by AuSable »

Problem Solved,
If you have been reading the previous posts you will know that my problem was an undersized follower.
Thanks to Jim I found that the diameter should be at least .485.
Solution:
I first cut a section out of 45/70 cartridge case. Should have left enough material to extend over both ridges.I was a little short. Then I swaged the follower into the brass using my drill press as a press.Some filing and reaming was required first.
Using a tubing cutter I trimmed the brass flush with the front ridge which crimped the brass in place.
Chucking the follower with it's new brass sleeve in the drill press I filed it down to .490 which works very well in my new old Remington.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Nicely Done!

Glad I could be of help!
Jim Peterson