Remington 700 ADL Synthetic

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
patdaddy

Remington 700 ADL Synthetic

Post by patdaddy »

Last year I bought a Remington 700 ADL Synthetic at Walmart with a pre-installed scope. The stock is Mossy Oak. According to Remingtons website, the ADL Synthetic ended in 2004. I couldnt believe my brand-new rifle was that old, so I emailed Remington, and they say that my serial number indicated a 2008 manufacture date. So...Was this a special model made up specifically for Walmart, or were the ADL synthetics manufactured past 2004 normally?
It is a 30-06, 24" barrel i believe.

Thanks for any information.
Wulfman

Re: Remington 700 ADL Synthetic

Post by Wulfman »

Going by the serial number may or may not be accurate when determining the date of manufacture.

The best way is to go by the date of the barrel code. Go to the following link and see what you come up with.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

I'll bet we'd be surprised at how many left-over parts get put together to get rid of the inventory. And then they call them "Limited runs".

Den
patdaddy

Post by patdaddy »

Just says "AC", so March 2008 it looks like.
I know it wasnt in the 08 catalog, or on their webste. I wonder if it was a special deal walmart had made up.

Thanks
jkn1946

Post by jkn1946 »

I just purchased a 700 ADL Varmint (heavy 26" barrel) in mossy oak, syn stock, w/4-12x40 (?) noname scope mounted. I bought from Dick's Sporting - a national chain - for what I think is an exceptional price ($450+tax). The gun is heavy (10+lb) but since I just plan to punch paper that doesn't matter much. The trigger is an "Xtrigger" (?) and is excellent for me. I would like to increase the LOP an inch to about 14.5" but wonder if that is practical with this type of stock. It (the stock) appears to be somewhat hollow when thumped.
Any thoughts/experiences with this type of syn stock? I don't want to get into ($) it too much but I guess that I could replace the stock all together.

I think you're right that leftover/spare parts are put together for "special" runs for large retailers and that's probably what I have.

Thanks, John
bandj524

Post by bandj524 »

I just bought the same rifle I thought for the price you cant beat it. The problem is even with the nikon scope I put on it this thing is only shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards with an occassional 1.5 inch group. Oh well I am going to float the barrel and bed it and see what I get out of it.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

bandj524 wrote:I just bought the same rifle I thought for the price you cant beat it. The problem is even with the nikon scope I put on it this thing is only shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards with an occassional 1.5 inch group. Oh well I am going to float the barrel and bed it and see what I get out of it.
You didn't mention whether you used factory loads or handloads.
The things I would check first (before messing with the barrel bedding) would be the stock screw tightness, scope parallax and the loads used. Just because it's a Nikon scope doesn't mean diddly squat to me. They can still have parallax issues. Trigger pull can also be a factor.

Den
bandj524

Post by bandj524 »

Im sorry it was federal match grade not hand loads. The scope came off a savage 300wm that shot under .5 inch groups all day long. I love the way the stock feels but it is a plastic non pillar bedded stock so i will try to bed it float the barrell and see if it helps like i said the stock feels great so does the new remington trigger. just trying to get it to shoot the best groups i can.
jkn1946

Post by jkn1946 »

Well, just an update on the cheap Rem 700 ADL package from Dick's - added a bipod and finally got to the range and zero'ed the scope. Then switched to cheap but new ammo (PMC FMJ 55g). If I did my part (sometimes a big "if"), the groups were 3/4 to 1in. Not bad for a $450 dollar rifle/scope combo......it does weigh 10+lbs though.

Just some thoughts on design - the lack of a floorplate or removable mag makes cleaning more difficult - the bolt barely clears the scope in cycling - loading the internal mag is somewhat of a pain but does get easier with practice/use.

I've noted lower cost (less than $500 - Remington, Tikka, Savage, etc....) rifles at large stores like Dicks or Sports Authority, some with scope packages, some not. It seems a relatively inexpensive way to get into or continue a sport - especially considering you are usually able to recoup a lot of your major equipment costs (the rifle or pistol) on the used market, of course where you live could affect that.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

It amazes me how many people that think glass bedding and free floating is the answer. Sit back take a deep breath pick a nice cool day to shoot your non target standard weight barrel. Take some time between shots so your barrel can cool down. Take at least two differant manufactures ammo and a couple differant bullet weightsvand give it your best shot. 95 percent chance the gun will out shoot the shooter. There are times that bedding and floating is the answer. The 700 has held the reputation for YEARS " the most accurate rifle out of the box". The pressure point under barrel has been there and its there for a reason. I would try all I could before digging at my stock and turning it into a science project.
jkn1946

Post by jkn1946 »

I am not a very knowlegable or experienced shooter but from what I know I agree with you. Over the years I've noted also that like cars and motorcycles, many if not most rifles/pistols as they come from the manufactor are more capable than 95% (figuratively) of the people using them. If you fall in that 5% or so, great! - I know I don't. But I think it is a good idea to improve your marksman skills rather than just looking at equipment to improve your scores.

On the other hand, maybe many do both - improve the equipment and shooting skills. And then there's the whole aspect of reloading......which I understand can be very interesting by itself.

As I'm getting back into shooting more, I find that working on my breathing, consistant sight picture, etc... presents enough challenges for now.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

If you sit on a bench with a good solid rest on a calm day looking into 36 power scope you would be AMAZED just how much your heartbeat moves your line of sight. Its also doing that with the smaller scopes you just dont notice it as much.
;
bandj524

Post by bandj524 »

well after glass bedding and free floating the barrell, the rifle is shooting consistantly under 3/4in 5 shot groups. So maybe getting rid of that pressure point is not such a bad idea?
BigBlack

Post by BigBlack »

my 223 decreased from 1.5" groups down to 1" groups by just floating the barrel, shooting green UMC Walmart ammo. Hand loads shoot .5" on average but have shot great since floating. This is a sporter weight barreled rifle.