Yet another old model 10

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
kentop

Yet another old model 10

Post by kentop »

For a gun they only made 200,000 of, there sure seem to be a lot of them collecting dust around the country. I picked one up at a recent gun show in Tucson, Az. It's a standard model 10 with the tootsie roll for-end. The serial number is 176***, which, after looking online for serial numbers, seems to have been made in December of 1919. It's beat up on the outside but there's no rust, no wobble in the barrel, the inside is clean as a whistle and the inside of the barrel is very nice looking. Very nice, crisp action, trigger and action bar safety both work fine. There are no cracks in the stock and it has the Remington rubber pad on it instead of the plastic buttplate. Feeds ammo beautifully. Very nice, natural sight and balanced but heavy with a 30" barrel. The serial number is engraved on the barrel as well and it matches the serial on the gun. There is an "S" on the left side of the barrel torwards the breech and a double struck "R.M.P." inside an elongated circle on the opposite side (right side) Anybody know what they mean? Anybody know when the model 10 became the 10-A, or at least started being stamped that way? This one looks like a shooter (which is why I bought it) and it cost me $150.00 out the door, which I feel is about ballpark for this weapon. At first I was hesitant because the barrel lug had been welded on (I've seen worse welding jobs) but all in all, I should be able to have some fun with it. I understand that the model 29 was the same gun reintroduced with modifications. Is this true? If it is, are any of the parts interchangeable? I completely stripped this weapon down and everything has very little wear. I am going to test fire it this Thursday with some cheap Winchester #8 bird shot.
Thanks for any answers you guys can give me.
Attachments
Notice the missing bluing on the receiver. It looks like someone tried to make it look like a side ejector. I'm thinking that someone sanded off some sort of electropencil identification.
Notice the missing bluing on the receiver. It looks like someone tried to make it look like a side ejector. I'm thinking that someone sanded off some sort of electropencil identification.
right side.jpg (73.45 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
barrel lug.jpg
barrel lug.jpg (42.14 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
action bar.jpg
action bar.jpg (123.59 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Re: Yet another old model 10

Post by Jay Huber »

I think the RMP you refer too is actually REM and it is a proof mark. It became 10A around 1910. Be careful shooting it. Jay Huber RSA
kentop

Re: Yet another old model 10

Post by kentop »

Now that I look more closely I think I read it as "R.E.P". There are definitely periods or dots between the letters.
Attachments
barrel mark.jpg
barrel mark.jpg (45.6 KiB) Viewed 1513 times