552 Deflector

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
gjoneil

552 Deflector

Post by gjoneil »

I recently purchased a new 552. It is a beautiful rifle save for the ungainly looking deflector on the receiver. Would removing this unsightly device impair the operation of the rifle in any way or void it's warranty? I presume that casings must fly back towards the shooter with the deflector. I usually shoot with eye and hearing protection. I also shoot with a ball cap to prevent hot casings from landing in my hair/face.
rsv1rem

Re: 552 Deflector

Post by rsv1rem »

As long as you are shooting right handed, ejected shells are not going to hurt you, but what about the person next to you?

Shell deflectors were initially developed for gallery rifles to protect others in the area from hot shell casings. Their use eventually evolved over to a few other semi-autos like the Savage model 6 and the Winchester model 74 and probably some others. Remington pioneered the idea.

You can remove it, but in my opinion the 552's deflector is the better looking deflector when compared to others that I have seen. I would just leave it in place.

Congratulations on buying a model 552, it's among the best semi-auto .22's ever made and has a long history of accuracy and reliability.
gjoneil

Post by gjoneil »

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get it. My favorite 22 right now is a remington model 12 G (pre 1928) that I acquired from my wife's grandfather. What fun it must have been to use one at a shooting gallery! Can you imagine what the anti gun folks would do if they still existed!
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

gjoneil wrote:Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get it. My favorite 22 right now is a remington model 12 G (pre 1928) that I acquired from my wife's grandfather. What fun it must have been to use one at a shooting gallery! Can you imagine what the anti gun folks would do if they still existed!

Check out this Remington picture thread about half-way down for a vintage restored shooting gallery.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... 44&page=12