help me ID 22 pump

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
mikedb

help me ID 22 pump

Post by mikedb »

Hi
I have a .22 pump that my Dad gave me as a kid. Hasn't been used in at least 40 years. Would like some help to ID and maybe some sense of value. I can't find any indication of a model except it says "Remington 22 shortlong or long rifle" on the barrel and what looks like a serial number "RW388718". If this is not enough info, can someone at least tell me what to look for to help identify what model it is?

Any help appreciated :D
rsv1rem

Re: help me ID 22 pump

Post by rsv1rem »

Sounds like a model 12 or 121. Does it look like this?

http://aaa-webs.com/aaa/webs/homestead/ ... ations.htm
mikedb

Post by mikedb »

rsv1rem wrote:Sounds like a model 12 or 121. Does it look like this?

http://aaa-webs.com/aaa/webs/homestead/ ... ations.htm
Yeah looks a lot like the 12. Has a round barrel but using the questionnaire on that page, I'm confused about the barrel length. From the instructions they give for measuring I get a barrel length of just over 22". There's no matching model for that length that fits the other options. Even not adding for the threads, the tip of the barrel to where it meets the receiver section is over 21". If not for that I'd say it's a 12A.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

Would have to be a 12 they didn't make that many 121's, that serial no puts in in 1917.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
mikedb

Post by mikedb »

DavidFagan wrote:Would have to be a 12 they didn't make that many 121's, that serial no puts in in 1917.
I didn't think it was that old but maybe so. That means it might have been my Dad's first rifle altho he never told me that when he gave it to me. It looks to be all original, there has certainly been no modification since I have had it and that's 40+ years.

I also found this written on the barrel;
"Remington Arms-Union Metallic Cartridge Co. Remington Works, Ilion N.Y. U.S.A.
Pederson's Patents Jan 5, 1909, Mar 8, 1910, Nov 2 1911, Apr 16, 1912"

It's got what looks like 3 gunsights, 1 on the stock that flips up, 1 on the barrel where you'd expect, about an inch or so before it goes into the receiver, and of course the 3rd at the end of the barrel.
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Sure sounds like a model 12 with a tip-up tang sight and a sure winner. Barrels are measured from the tip of the muzzle to the front of the chamber. Can you post pictures?
mikedb

Post by mikedb »

I'm pretty sure now that it's a 12 type A but the 3 sights must have been either special ordered or added later. Can't say for sure about that except they've always been on there as far as I know.

Here are some pics taken with my el cheapo camera.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com