Model 51 Proof marks

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
Parusky

Model 51 Proof marks

Post by Parusky »

Gents,

I have a Model 51 32 Auto Serial # PA68563 with a DR stamp on the left front trigger guard and and Anchor symbol on the right front of the guard. The barrel is stamped with both "32 CAL" and directly below "7.65MM" and below that a small shield. The right side also has a "Remington" banner with "TRADE MARK" beneath it. The slide serrations are full across the flats and extend above into the curved top and are vertical.

Does anyone know the basis of these markings? Export or foreign military contract?

This differs completely from my .380 Serial #PA322 which has semicicular cuts and no trademarks, caliber markings, and a very small indeterminate proofmark very lightly defined on the left front trigger guard. The cuts in the slide serrations are milled semi-circular.

Why the significant differences?

Thanks for any help.

Cordially,

Dave Tarasevich
mulligan0@comcast.net

model 51

Post by mulligan0@comcast.net »

To whom it may concern I have a model 51 remington umc cal 32 serial #pa68899 with the remington trade mark on the slide the right side
acording to the american riflemen, there were only 5000 of these made from 1923 to 1926 and most were 380 cal
thanks
tom
ChuckD

Model 51 production

Post by ChuckD »

For all you Model 51 owners,

Remington started production of the Model 51 in 1919 with the .380 cal. Since it was the only caliber, there was no need to mark the barrel or clip. When they started production of the .32 (in 1921) they had to identify each. The caliber markings started to appear at S.N. 14,000-15,000 range.
The Remington trade mark on the right side of the frame started around S.N. 20,000-22,000.
The hand grooves on the slide started as the "U" type on the .380 and changed to the"V" type around S.N. 38,000.
The .32 however, started with the "V" and remained through out production (1921-1934)
The .32 started with the barrel only marked .32 at SN 60,801, at about SN 62,000 the barrel marking changed to .32 and 7.65 MM.
The letter markings on the left trigger guard is the Remington date code, DR is Sept. 1924. The anchor and other symbols are inspectors marks.

I have some additional information in a file, but I don't know just where it is right now.
I hope this helps,

Chuck D.
lizard

thanks for the info

Post by lizard »

That helped a lot. If you have serial number ranges/dates, I really like to have a copy. Again, thanks!

Re: Model 51 Proof marks

Post by Guest »

Parusky wrote:Gents,

I have a Model 51 32 Auto Serial # PA68563 with a DR stamp on the left front trigger guard and and Anchor symbol on the right front of the guard. The barrel is stamped with both "32 CAL" and directly below "7.65MM" and below that a small shield. The right side also has a "Remington" banner with "TRADE MARK" beneath it. The slide serrations are full across the flats and extend above into the curved top and are vertical.

Does anyone know the basis of these markings? Export or foreign military contract?

This differs completely from my .380 Serial #PA322 which has semicicular cuts and no trademarks, caliber markings, and a very small indeterminate proofmark very lightly defined on the left front trigger guard. The cuts in the slide serrations are milled semi-circular.

Why the significant differences?

Thanks for any help.

Cordially,

Dave Tarasevich

Post by Guest »

The Remington trade mark on the right side of the frame started around S.N. 20,000-22,000
I just picked up PA 206xx with 9 groove slide and Remington Trade Mark on right frame.