572 Fieldmaster Light Weight

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Boley

572 Fieldmaster Light Weight

Post by Boley »

Please share what you know about the Buckskin Tan,Crow Wing Black,and Teal Wing Blue models produced 1958 to 1962.I have read that fewer than 35 thousand were made,with the blue one being least popular,discontinued in 1960.Thank You,Boley
Boley

5 months is a respectful time to wait

Post by Boley »

Please guys,help me out a little here.The aluminum barrels were lined,anyone know about these?I attempted to measure the twist rate,but results were inconclusive.Mine came to me in unfired condition,but shoots poorly with the long rifle ammuniton I've tried so far.The ammo brands used perform ok to great in my other rifles.The Buckskin Tan I got to use in 1962 seemed very accurate.First,blaming my eyesight with the open sights,mounted a tried and true J-4 Weaver scope,no real improvement.Everything is tight,and as new,a puzzle to me as I've not seen a Remington rimfire in this condition that wouldn't shoot.Anyone know if Wayne Leek was involved in this model's design?He worked on the Nylons and the 700 series.
gydemate

M/572 LW

Post by gydemate »

The M/572 lightweight was made from 1957-1962. Your production estimate was close, with factory records showing 34,785 made. There is no breakdown in production by color, but the vast majority were Buckskin Tan. I don't know who the designer was, but most of the memos I have seen were addressed to Mike Walker. Why doesn't it shoot??? I don't have a clue... I also don't know the barrel twist.

John Gyde
Boley

Post by Boley »

Thanks,I will see what I can learn about Mr.Walker.The rifle is shooting better,I gave it a good bore scrubbing with JB paste and touched up the crown a little.While using the JB with a tight felt bob I attempted to measure the twist rate,looks like a turn in 17,seems odd to me.My 14 year old grandson was hitting paintballs consistantly at 25 yds with it from a rest,so I gave him the rifle,it works as well for him as the one I had at that age did for me.
hompac

Post by hompac »

I was at my gun dealer today, he just got a 572 Fieldmaster , Buckskin Tan, in the original box and "store tags." Never shot. From what I have been told it was won at a Fire Company raffel in 1958, put in a closet and forgotten about. After the death of the original owner the son sold it to my gun dealer. I offered him big bucks but he is apprehensive. Anyone think I should pursue the issue? By the way, it is a beauty
Boley

Post by Boley »

hompac,pretty seldom one finds a 572 Lightweight new in the box.I paid $375 for a Buckskin Tan with a few handling marks on the stock,it was unfired,but not advertised as such.I paid $200 for a well used Buckskin Tan that might make 85%.I don't collect and know nothing about the interest in these rifles beyond my own.Pure nostalgia for me,the unfired one has now been shot 6 or 700 times,the more used one belongs to my grandson.I looked for this model for 35 years or more at gunshows and gunshops,never saw a single one.Both of these were bought from dealers on the internet.Your post is interesting,glad you went to the trouble.
mlsfarms

Post by mlsfarms »

I recently acquired a 572 which seems lighter than others that I have. There is no S# on it, and does have either a stainless steel or aluminum tub slide. It also has buckskin colored wood, with diamond checkering. Does anyone truly know what I have, and an estimate of value. Gun is nearly flawless in quality.
Boley

Post by Boley »

The lightweights had 23 inch long barrels and were aluminum with a steel liner.The rear sight was chromed,front was brass.The safety button,trigger,outer magazine tube,and receiver pins were also chromed.They were offered in three colors,Buckskin Tan,Teal Wing Blue,and Crow Wing Black.Does this describe your rifle?
mlsfarms

Post by mlsfarms »

Yes, Boley it does. Any idea of value and age? The gun is nearly flawless. Any idea where I might find additional 572s for sale.