Remington 740 woodsmaster

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
bearhunter

Remington 740 woodsmaster

Post by bearhunter »

Im new to the fourm and new to remington rifles.I have been finding myself being drawn to them more and more.Anyway I just picked up a 740 woodsmaster in 30-06.Date code makes it in May of 1956.A few questions Ive not been able to answer or,I can not find a serial# anywere on it,I know at this time there were not mandatory but have seen older rifles with them.The main thing I interested in it has a 16" barrel.Barrel does not look to have been cut and stock is only 13.25" long.There or a few stampings on the barrel that I have never seen before.I asked remington about it and they said it was a carbine,But I can not find any info on the 16" barrel or the barrel stampings.I was told by a person that is a collector that it may have been a custom order,But he has not seen the rifle just going on my details.Any help or info to answer my questions or to ID this rifle would be very appericated
John Gyde

Re: Remington 740 woodsmaster

Post by John Gyde »

You might want to measure the barrel carefully, since it can't be [b][u]under[/u][/b] 16" without paper... A very minor amount under the 16" causes the problem. I sure haven't heard of any center fire factory barrels that short. That short of a barrel in 30-06 would cause a blast that one would probably not have any difficulty hearing...
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

John Gyde wrote:That short of a barrel in 30-06 would cause a blast that one would probably not have any difficulty hearing...
"WHAT??" :lol:
bearhunter

Post by bearhunter »

I found some markings on the barrel and from what Ive found online they mean the rifle has been factory worked on.
Attachments
rem2.jpg
rem2.jpg (16.19 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
rem1.jpg
rem1.jpg (9.77 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

As long as it's 16 inch barrel and the whole gun isn't under 26 your fine but it's my understanding that it's only 22's that didn't have to be marked until 1968 it should have a serial no.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
bearhunter

Post by bearhunter »

Response I got from remington."This model was not required to have a serial number, the ATF guidelines on requiring serial numbers did not take place until 1968. Also during this time there wasn't
any legislation requiring a restricted barrel length. So to conclude the barrel length that you measured is correct".