Oh noes! Another "how old is this and what's it worth" threa

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
tony ennis

Oh noes! Another "how old is this and what's it worth" threa

Post by tony ennis »

I have my grandfather's shotguns.

One's a Remington "The Sportsman" model. Has a duck engraved on the left side and a pheasant on the right.
The left side has a 11xxx number on it. I don't know the wisdom of putting serial numbers on the web...

Barrel says "Remington Arms Co Inc Ilion NY Made in USA
Browning's US Pats (some patent numbers)
20 ga cyl
EED (or EE *something*) looks hand-stamped on the barrel right where it joins the ... receiver?

Now we n00bs all love our guns and have an inflated idea of their value especially when they've been in the family for a few generations. My dad thought there was something about this shotgun that could cause an unscrupulous gunsmith to "lose" it.

So, what do I have, is it remarkable, and do I have to worry about it growing legs if I take it to a gunsmith for maintenance?

Thanks!
jwel

Re: Oh noes! Another "how old is this and what's it worth" t

Post by jwel »

Am guessing. Is it a semi-auto? If, it is, because of the Browning patents. It could be like mine. A Remington auto-loading shotgun. Which was named the Remington 11 in 1911.
tony ennis

Post by tony ennis »

It's a 3-shot automatic.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Remington Arms Co. introduced their 12-gauge, five-shot, John M. Browning designed, "Remington Autoloading Gun" in 1905. The company name was changed to Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. in 1911. Shortly after that Rem-UMC began calling that gun the Model No. 11. In 1920 the company name changed again to Remington Arms Co., Inc. Circa 1927/8 they changed the safety from the lever inside the trigger guard to a crossbolt behind the trigger. In 1930, they introduced the 20-gauge Model 11. Model 11 20-gauge serial numbers began at 1,000,000. In 1931, they added the 16-gauge to the line with 16-gauge serial numbers starting at 1,500,000. In 1930, they also introduced a three-shot version in 20-gauge called "The Sportsman." The 20-gauge “The Sportsman” had serial numbers beginning low 1? Maybe 1000? They added 12- and 16-gauge "The Sportsman" in 1931, with 12-gauge "The Sportsman" having serial numbers starting at 500,000 and 16-gauges having serial numbers starting at 200,000. "The Sportsman" had a three-bird roll-stamping on each side of the receiver.

In 1934 DuPont acquired controlling interest of Remington Arms Co., Inc. In 1937, Remington reduced the roll-stamping on "The Sportsman" to one bird on each side and started putting the roll-stamping on Model 11 receivers as well. At the same time, the name "The Sportsman" or "Model 11" began being stamped on the bolt. On Sep. 28, 1937, they stopped the separate serial number sequence in the 2xx,xxx range for the 16-gauge "The Sportsman"; on Aug. 24, 1937, they stopped the separate serial number sequence in the 5xx,xxx range for the 12-gauges and finally on Feb. 14, 1938, they ended the separate serial numbers for the 20-gauge “The Sportsman” at 16,753. From then on the "Model 11" and "The Sportsman" were serial numbered together, continuing the Model 11 sequences. Combined 12-gauge "Model 11" and "The Sportsman" serial numbers reached 499,999 on August 1, 1943. Serial numbers were then jumped to 700,000 and continued.

There is not a great deal of demand for these old square-back Remington autoloaders, and most seem to sit in the pawn shops at $200. I assembled my set of "The Sportsman" a 12-, a 16- and a 20-gauge, two of them with solid rib barrels for right at $600.

The EE date code on your barrel would be for October 1936.
tony ennis

Post by tony ennis »

Thank you, very helpful.

Mine does not have "The Sportsman" on the receiver, yet it does have the single bird roll stamping and the low-ish serial number. So I'd think this gun was made right about the time DuPont asserted themselves. My receiver is probably old stock they were using up.
jwel

Post by jwel »

bonnie and Clyde loved them old Remington 11s! Even had a whippet gun.
spt

Post by spt »

Mine does not say "Sportsman" on it anywhere, but it does have the duck engraved on the left side and a pheasant on the right.
On the side under the duck, it says Remington Reg. US. PAT OFF 436341
on the barrel it has Remington Arms CO., Inc., Ilion, NY Made in USA. Browning's us pats ........
on the side of the barrel it has MOD and then a half inch space and the RJ <> *
It is a 12ga.
Any idea of when it was made?
jwel

Post by jwel »

I would call Remington. They gave me the date for mine.
jwel

Post by jwel »

Will add that mine, has the safety in front of the trigger. Solid rib barrel. Serial number 830XX. And, they said it was a 1910 model. It doesn't have anything fancy in engravings.
spt

Post by spt »

What number would i call?
jwel

Post by jwel »

800-243-9700
remroc

Post by remroc »

RJ is for November 1940. Is the barrel serial numbered to the receiver?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Serial 11nnn is 1906.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

According to the old factory ledger, available on this web site, 436341 would be in the September/October 1940 time frame -- http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/FR11
I put more faith in the old ledger then calling Remington, which is now about three or four ownerships and corporate reorganizations away from when these guns were made.

This was after the time Remington began using the same receivers, numbered together, for both "Model 11" and "The Sportsman" and it should be stamped as such on the breechbolt.