Reloading Question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Wulfman

Re: Reloading Question

Post by Wulfman »

If you do a Google search on "Lee Factory Crimp Die" you'll find lots of information and opinions. Many people love them and there are others who don't.

It would appear that there would be a problem finding one for your caliber.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalo ... crimp.html

Here's a sample of some of the opinions on both sides:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299695

I have several Lee reloading dies but have never tried the factory crimp dies. I only have three calibers that I reload for that require a crimp for tubular magazines.....25-20, 25-35 and 30-30. All of the bullets I reload for these calibers have cannelures and I do a light roll crimp on them. If I DO happen to load other non-cannelured bullets, I single-load them in the rifle because they would be pointed bullets and it's not advisable to load them back-to-back in a tubular magazine.

As mentioned, there are a number of sources for loading data for the .25-35 / 25 Rem.
Depending on what powder you have or have access to, my old (1970 vintage) Pacific manual lists loads for the 87 gr. (86 gr. would also work), 100 gr. and 117 gr. bullets with IMR 4198, IMR 3031, IMR 4895 and IMR 4320 powders. If you're interested, I could provide those to you.

Den
CWarmouth

Post by CWarmouth »

Den,
It woud be great if you could get me that data if it's not too much trouble. At least for the 87 grain. I have an old Hornady anual that gives data for the 60 grain and 117.
Thanks again,
Carl
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

CWarmouth wrote:Den,
It woud be great if you could get me that data if it's not too much trouble. At least for the 87 grain. I have an old Hornady anual that gives data for the 60 grain and 117.
Thanks again,
Carl
Please check your Private Messages (PMs).

Den
CWarmouth

Post by CWarmouth »

Thank you Den! I appreciate the information. I loaded up a bunch of brass last night and am really happy with the way it turned out, thanks to the many answers I received here! We haven't shot it yet but each loaded cartridge is within 1/10 of a grain from each other with a total spread of 2/10 grain.
CWarmouth

Post by CWarmouth »

I have one more question. I have reloaded many rounds now (but haven't shot any of them) and it seems to be going well. I think I seated the bullet a little too deep on a half dozen or so before I figured out the crimping thing. I seated the bullets until the top of the cannelure was just visible, but did not back the seater out when I went to crimp them. I ended up pushing them in farther. None of the cannelure is visible, but is just barely seated below the rim of the neck. Any safety problems with this?
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

CWarmouth wrote:I have one more question. I have reloaded many rounds now (but haven't shot any of them) and it seems to be going well. I think I seated the bullet a little too deep on a half dozen or so before I figured out the crimping thing. I seated the bullets until the top of the cannelure was just visible, but did not back the seater out when I went to crimp them. I ended up pushing them in farther. None of the cannelure is visible, but is just barely seated below the rim of the neck. Any safety problems with this?
Personally, I think you should TRY some of those loads to see how they shoot before you load up a whole bunch of them.

Safety problems.......I seriously doubt it.

Den
Rickster

Post by Rickster »

Seating a bullet deeper will cause an increase in peak pressure. If you want to PM me the particulars of your load I'll give you an estimate of whether it is a problem or not.
CWarmouth

Post by CWarmouth »

PM sent this morning
Tbury

Post by Tbury »

A few points about loading 25 rem. You need to keep an eye on case length after re-sizing the brass will lengthen with firing and re-sizing. Use the 25-35 case length step on a Lyman case length gage or measure with calipers and trim to the correct spec. You can use a Lee Factory crimp die for 250 Savage with the 25 rem ammo, for tubular magazines crimping is a must to prevent bullet creep or recoil pushing the bullet further into the case. For all repeating rifles, pump, autoloader, or lever action you need to full length re-size every time. Neck sizing only works for bolt actions. You also need to keep the loaded cartridge length as close to the length with 117 gr loads as possible since the feed mechanism was engineered with that bullet in mind. Some 25 cal bullets will not take the power of 25 rem. I have used 87 grain half jacket bullets that were designed for the 25-20 and found that the velocity and twist of 25 Rem will spin the jackets off the bullet as it leaves the barrel, which really affect accuracy. The shell holder for 6.8 (SPC) Rem. will work for .25, .30, and .32 rem; .35 rem will use the same shell holder as 30-06 but some manufacturers sell a specific one. As others have said older brass was thinner than current manufacture so neck collapse with excessive crimping pressure especially with roll crimp is common. When this happens and the shell will not chamber, pull the bullet, dump the powder, remove the decapping pin from the sizer die and lube the shell and re-size. The expander plug will usually pull the neck back into shape.
Mountaineers are always Free
CWarmouth

Post by CWarmouth »

Thank you Tbury. That is good information. Especially about the 250 Savage crimp die. I have been using the 35 Rem Lee crimp die on my 35 Rem cases and I do love it. I put my order in for a 250 crimp die today.

As luck would have it I did collapse the neck on several shells and took your advice on resizing a couple. It worked fairly well but I can still feel a slight little ridge around the shoulder. I don't know if it will affect chambering or not, but I have learned my lesson about trying to chamber live ammo without trying ammo w/o powder and primer first.

Rickster, thank you for the reloading data and your comments!

Thanks again,
Carl
Tbury

Post by Tbury »

I would try the re-sized brass in your gun one at a time to check on the ridge. If it fits the next firing should take care of any ridge. You can easily make .25 rem brass from 30 rem brass. I usually anneal the 30 rem brass, re-size then trim the bras to the correct length and reload. Reed ammo.com has had 30 rem brass in the past at reasonable prices.
Mountaineers are always Free