Mod 11 maybe salvageable

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
bobby

Mod 11 maybe salvageable

Post by bobby »

I am looking at a mod 11 for my wifes couisn. From what I can figure it is a 1923(261xxx) but barrel is 1925(bs).Also some reapair codes on left side of barrell(rr ro3).The bore is good but surface rust and pitting on outside, few frozen screws,inside the receiver a yellowish gunk film.Can't retract bolt.Only moves back 1/2 in.Safety is off.Seems blocked in the rear of bolt.I'm far from a gunsmith but willing to breath some life back into this baby if I can find free disassembly info to print out.Oh, it has a ploychoke attached.Any advice greatly appreciated.
bobby

Re: Mod 11 maybe salvageable

Post by bobby »

By the way I printed out owners instruction from stevespages but looking for more detailed info.Also the saftey on this one is in front of the trigger inside trigger guard.The owners info shows behind trigger on rt side of guard.
frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax »

Search online for disassembly instructions for a Browning Auto-5. That's what I did. Follow the instructions carefully, these things are pretty complicated. The first thing you need to do, after making sure the gun is unloaded, is remove the buttstock. Then you can remove the recoil spring. That should make it easier to retract the bolt. Oh, and spray the heck out of it with penetrating oil.
bobby

Post by bobby »

Thanks Frankie.I have since got it apart and was in a little rougher shape than I first thought.The stock screw would not budge.Had to drill it out.When I finally got it off the action spring/tube assy was crusted with rust.Like coins fused together from a reck.I sparyed it down with pb blaster and carefully chipped away the crud.Finally it was somewhat clean.No wonder the bolt woud not retract.I figure about 75 bucks in parts from numrich in all.As it's not mine my cousin husband will have 2 choices: 1)sell it to me cheap 2) pay for the parts.It was fun to play with but I've gone as far as I want to with it. I don't want to get emotionally attached to it :lol: