Remington Model 341 Reassembly

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
jjs04

Remington Model 341 Reassembly

Post by jjs04 »

My Great Uncle (the original owner) asked me to clean his rifles. My current project is his Remington Sportmaster 341 and I need a bit of help.

I have disassembled the bolt and carrier and cannot put them back together. The problem is that I cannot reinsert the rear most pin. It looks like the mainspring needs to be compressed in order insert the pin.

I have ordered a manual from Numrich Gunparts, but have not received my pdf. Also, I have looked at the schematics from the US Patent Office website and they appear to match my assumption above.

Is there a special tool to do this or tip/trick that I do not know about?

If you are wondering why I made this mistake, I thought the bolt would need a bit of attention. The bore was so dirty that 2 hours with my cleaning rod and patches/solvent/brush crud was still coming loose!

Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0305.sm.jpg
IMG_0305.sm.jpg (47.34 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
cornbreadx

Re: Remington Model 341 Reassembly

Post by cornbreadx »

Do you still need help reassembling the bolt?
jthgunnut2

Post by jthgunnut2 »

cornbreadx wrote:Do you still need help reassembling the bolt?
YES! I am trying to reassemble one and, even though it seems to be correctly reassembled, the action does not work. I cannot find a schematic but have an assembly book that gives instruction but misses some critical pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

We discovered our misstep and have achieved working order! :P
DadzSportmaster

Post by DadzSportmaster »

Sorry I'm late to this thread but I just got into my Dad's 341 and am interested in doing a bolt takedown and cleaning.

I don't want to disassemble the stuff in the lower part of the action (the cartridge handling parts) because that looks like a CF waiting to happen. The one video I found on it showed the rifle disassembled and then magically reassembled with the person shooting the video saying that he didn't know what he did to fix it but now that it is assembled he was not about to take it apart again. I think he used a lot of lubrication (of the whiskey or bourbon variety) so I don't want to trust anything else he has to say.

I did find one video on bolt disassembly and reassembly but it has a lot of poor video (hands blocking the shot) along with mumbling and fumbling with parts. If I could find a better video or a manual I would feel better about the whole thing.

Are there any parts in the bolt that really need disassembly and cleaning or can I get away with shooting it with carb cleaner and leave it dry. Is there anything inside that needs lube that I can't get to without disassembly?

Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
DadzSportmaster