Remington Model 1900 Double Barrel Shotgun

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Double_Barrel

Remington Model 1900 Double Barrel Shotgun

Post by Double_Barrel »

I have a question about the rarity of a model 1900 shotgun I saw at a gunshow today, it is in 16 guage and has two matching serial numbered barrels both damascus, it also has ejectors (KED by Charles Semmers book) The frame has the letter Q before the serial number. My question is how many model 1900 were made in 16 ga with ejectors? and how rare is the matching second set of barrels? the gun is well used but the bores are good and the price is $700.00

Thanks for your response.

Double_Barrel
2shooter

Re: Remington Model 1900 Double Barrel Shotgun

Post by 2shooter »

There are no records on how many 16ga. or two barrel sets made.You could get the 2nd set
of barrels for half the price of the gun. The ones I have seen have a 1 and 2 under the serial
number that tell me they were ordered with new gun. I also have a 1900 12ga. that was sent
back and 2nd set was made to gun with matching serial ,but no 1 or 2 under serial.
Double_Barrel

Post by Double_Barrel »

2shooter,
Thanks for the reply! one set of barrels was marked with the number 1 and the other with the number 2. It is to bad that the number of variations have not been documented.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

The factory records were destroyed, We are keeping records on what has been found if you
can give me the serial number I can find out if it has been recorded.call 330-669-2138
Double_Barrel

Post by Double_Barrel »

2shooter,
Sorry I did not take note of the serial number and I do not own the gun.

Thanks,
Double_Barrel
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Double_barrel

Remington Model 1900 16 ga. are desirable with extra set of barrels is better.
If this gun is in good condition nothing wrong barrels cut,refinish wood, recoil pad added
The price seems reasonable, but I am not looking at the gun check it out good before
you buy it.
RemRB

Post by RemRB »

Sorry, Double_Barrel, that I didn't get into your inquiry earlier. Hate to say it ,but maybe you should have bought that 1900 for that price. especially since it is a factory set with those #s 1&2 on the barrels. From contacts and observations, I have recorded 305 model 1900 guns. Of that amount there are 38, 16 gauge, the rest 12 gauge. Of the present 305 guns only 9 are 2-barrels sets, some not original factory. And they all are 12 gauge!! Wish you had that 16 gauge serial number!! For info, here are the 9 12 gauge, 2-barrel set breakdown grades. K 2, KD 1, KE 3, KED 3. So that model 1900 was RARE!!!!
Double_Barrel

Post by Double_Barrel »

Thanks guys, I think I will have another shot at it at the next local gunshow.

Double_Barrel
Double_Barrel

Post by Double_Barrel »

Well I went to another gun show and the guy with the 16 ga. remington model 1900 was there so I bought it :D . The serial number is 356526 one barrel is 26" and the other 28" If you need any more info for your records let me know.

Double_Barrel
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Sounds like a 1906 vintage gun. Is the stock the rounded style at the head or does it have cheeks? Does the gun have the early-style action with the firing pins integral with the hammers or the later style with the seperate firing pins?

We need to see pictures!! When Remington Arms Co. introduced this lower priced version of their Hammerless Double, it was offered in K-Grade and KED-Grade. By the 1903-04 Catalogue Remington added the KD-Grade. Finally by the 1906 catalogue they added the KE-Grade. These pictures from the first 1906 Remington Arms Co. catalogue show both stock styles, the newly added KE-Grade has the cheeks --

Note that the catalogue doesn't offer 26-inch barrels.
Double_Barrel

Post by Double_Barrel »

Researcher,
I have tried to load pictures to this forum but they are to large and I do not know how to make them smaller. I can e-mail them to you to look at if you like. Please send me an e-mail address.

The stock is of the earlier style with the rounded and not the flat contours. I do not know if the firing pins are attached to the hammers or not. It has the earlier buttplate.

In regards to the 26" barrels, is it true that the numbers on the barrel lugs above the serial number are the amount of pellets inside a 30" target at 30 yards? If so the 28" barrel calls out 300 on the left barrel and the right barrel is 275, on the 26" barrels the left barrel calls out 258 and the right barrel is 169 This to me sounds like the 26" barrels would be skeet barrels, what are your thoughts?

Double_Barrel
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Here are the pictures Double_Barrel sent cropped and compressed --

Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I've never seen a hang tag for a 16-gauge Remington Hammerless Double, but my best guess is they were targetted with one ounce of #8 chilled shot going 409 pellets to the ounce. So, these #1 barrels would be

169/409 = 41% right and 258/409 = 63% left or about cylinder and modified.

The #2 barrels would be

275/409 = 67% right and 300/409 = 73% left or about improved modified and full.

Really a great set up.

For some reason, the persons doing the Remington Arms Co. catalogues never seemed to get around to listing the availability of 26-inch barrels for the lower grade guns. I've seen enough K- andA-grade guns with 26-inch barrels that I believe are "right" to be confident they made them. The 26-inch barrels were catalogued for the higher grades.

In that both of my 16-gauge guns have a Xs on the bottom of the barrel tubes and now this gun has Xs as well, I'm beginning to connect the X marking with 16-gauges.
Double_Barrel

Post by Double_Barrel »

Researcher,
Thanks for posting my pictures and also the information you provided. Is there a way to tell if the firing pins are attached to the hammers without taking the frame apart?

Double_Barrel
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

By the location of the sear pin in the bottom rear of the frame, I'd say you have the late-style action with the seperate firing pins.

Early-style action --

Late-style action --

It looks from your picture though that yor new gun still has the early-style safety slide. You didn't send any pictures that showed the ribs. The earlier wide flat style as shown here on the back gun --

Middle gun still has the early-style safety slide, but the concave (hollow) rib. Front gun has late-style safety slide and the concave (hollow) rib.

Early on it seems the flat rib was 'standard" but the hollow rib was a no cost option on the higher grades. Over the years the flat rib disappears and the hollow rib became "standard."