SPORTSMAN 12 AUTO ?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns

SPORTSMAN 12 AUTO ?

Post by Guest »

I have just recently come across a remington Sportsman 12 Auto. It is a 12 gauge semi auto shotgun that appears toi be in mint condition. I have searched high and low but can find no info on this model. Am I missing something obvious here?
rem141

Post by rem141 »

The Sportsman series started in 1984 with 4 guns, a 12 ga pump, a 30-06 pump, a 30-06 semi-auto and a 30-06/270 bolt action. The 1985 catalog lists those four plus the auto loading 12 ga which you have. These guns all had the hardwood stocks but still had bright blued metal. The were made to sell at the large chain stores at a reduced price compared to the regular models. They were marked "Sportsman 12 Pump, Sportsman 12 Auto, Sportsman 74, Sportsman 76 and Sportsman 78". The shotguns were last listed in the 1986 catalog. The rifles were last listed in the 1987 catalog. However a sixth gun was added in 1986, the 581S 22 caliber which lasted thru 1999. The caliber list was expanded for the Sportsman 78 bolt action in 1985 to include 308 and 243 calibers, in 1986 the 223 was added. The shotguns were made in two barrel lengths, 30 inch full and 28 inch with rem chokes.
Last edited by rem141 on Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trapshooter20

Sportsman 58 semi auto

Post by trapshooter20 »

The Sportsman 58 Semi Auto Shotguns were made from around 1956-thru around 1963 They were avalable in 12,16,and 20 gauges with several grades available. If what you have is one of these, it will have hunting scenes engraved on both sides of the reciever.
bkduckworth

Post by bkduckworth »

Rem141,

I have a Sportsman 12 Auto, is this gun mechanically the same as an 1100?

Thanks for the great information I'd been wondering what model I had for some time before stumbling onto this forum.

Thanks,

Brandon
rem141

Post by rem141 »

Brandon, I have looked at the parts breakdowns for the three guns, 1100, 11-87 and the 12 Sportsman Auto. It seems to me that the 12 Sportsman is closer to the 11-87. It was made afew years prior to the intro of the 11-87. I know that it has a barrel extension similar to the 11-87, the 1100 has none, and some of the other parts are common.
rem141

Post by rem141 »

After double checking my previous comment I find that I was looking at a small gauge breakdown of an 1100 and that the 12 gauge breakdown of all three guns are very similar. The 12 gauge 1100 does have a barrel extension.
CharlieEcho

Sportsman Model??

Post by CharlieEcho »

There is the older Sportsman Model made from 1931 to 1949. I have one with the military markings. These were all, I believe, made to only hold three rounds. Basically the model 11 variation.
ohiyesa

Post by ohiyesa »

Guys
Sorry to bring this up to the top,,but I am looking for some similar information,,I bought a Sportsman 12 Pump Magnum,,from a guy at our Primitive Weapons Club,,I paid him $140,,and the Gun was Brand New.
I ran into a guy at an informal Trap Shoot,and he wanted to buy the Shotgun from me,,I kept telling him that I do NOT want to sell the Gun,,well he finally took NO for an answer,and then he told me that Remington did NOT make very many of these Shotguns,,he said it was a very SHORT Run on these guns,,and that it was the Shotgun between the Wingmaster and the Express Models,,he also said that when Remington Started running the Sportsman 12 Magnum (870) they then stopped the Production because they decided to go with a few different things and then released the Express Model,,doe's ANYONE KNOW the History of this Gun,,like the Production Numbers of How many were made,,and the year that it was made,,IF it was in the first few or the last few that was made ?
I don't know if you want the entire Serial # or just the first 2 numbers in the Serial # ? is this Gun worth holding onto or should I just trade it in on an 1100 or an 11-87 ?
ANY Information would be of great help
Thank You Very Much
Ohiyesa
A Gun in Hand is worth more than a Cop on the Phone !!!
rem141

Post by rem141 »

Ohiyesa, You are correct in your thinking, not very many were made. This is evident because you never see any for sale. The Sportsman 12 Pump, Magnum was listed in the 1985 and 1986 catalogs only. They had a bright blue finish with cheap wood. The s/n were included in with the 870 numbers. They had the W prefix and the M suffix. Your s/n probably looks like W274xxxM or near that number. I have not seen any total production numbers, the date code on the barrel will tell you the month/ year it was made. Check this site under Manufacture dates.
ohiyesa

Post by ohiyesa »

Rem 141
You are right,,my Number in the receiver is W466xxxM,,Now the BAD part is,,I DONT have the original Barrel :cry: years ago I bought a Barrel with the Remchoke,,well the original Barrel just sat in the closet,,and by me being young and dumb then,,I figured someone might be able to use it
well someone did need it,,I wish I would have kept it,,but I didnt :x
So there is no way to even GUESS how many of these guns were made ??? why did Remington even do that,,just make a few,,and then switch like they did ?
Thank you VERY MUCH
Ohiyesa
A Gun in Hand is worth more than a Cop on the Phone !!!
FucileCorto

Sportsman 12 AUTO

Post by FucileCorto »

I have a sportsman 12 auto. which has a cracked forend. Where the model somewhat falls between the cracks, I am having trouble locating a supplier of Remington replacement forends...any help? Also I need a Remington certified gunsmith in the New England region. Thanks.
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

The only thing the RSA would have on parts can be found on the "Home" page under service and parts. This site in not part of Remington Arms. You might want to go to the Remington Arms site and ask about gunsmith services. RSA is an organization of Remington collectors and researchers. This forum is open to the public and has about three times the members as the Society. Hope someone out there can help.