Model 12-A UhOh!

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
1deu

Model 12-A UhOh!

Post by 1deu »

I'm almost done doing what I wanted to do with this Model 12-A. The wood looks fine, the parts are clean and things are moving right along (with this form's help, I have to say). Then I picked up the receiver, barrel attached with bolt in place, and a short piece of metal dropped out! I tool the bolt etc. out and even with a magnifying glass could find where it came from. Then I examined the trigger assembly. Nothing missing there either. The piece is 5/8" long, 1/16" thick, one side has slight "movement marks" and the other has equally straight "line" running side-to-side. Both ends could have been broken or snipped at one of those straight lines I've mentioned. Only thing I can think of is that it might be a shim of some sort. Beyond me for sure at this point. Anyone have a thought? Thanks for your attention.
umcpumpgun

Re: Model 12-A UhOh!

Post by umcpumpgun »

The size doesn't sound exactly right unless it broke in half and fell out,but it may the part refered to as the retainer. It is a little long(around a couple of inches long and about 1/8" wide and pretty thin)flat skinny peice that fits between the barrel and mag. tube immediately in front of the receiver. Normally the forearm and action bar and mag tube has to be taken out for this to come out unless it broke in half. Your gun will dry cycle fine without it,but ctgs. will go everywhere when you try to cycle a live round. Look in the small gap between the mag tube and barrel immediately in front of receiver and see if can spot whether or not it is missing. Hope this helps.
1deu

Post by 1deu »

Hi" umcpumpgun"!
Thanks for tip. Looking between the mag tube and the barrel I see the retainer you've mentioned. I have a hunch that when the stock dries I'll put it back together and see if it'll function properly. If it does, OK...if it doesn't, off to the smithy I go. Thanks again for taking the time.
1deu
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

Might want to check the gallery there is a model 12 / 121 with parts list, service manual, etc

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/gallery ... temId=3770
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer