New to me 550-1P

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
andy*

New to me 550-1P

Post by andy* »

Hello all,
I just traded for a 550-1P. It was made in 1949. The wood is good. The bore is excellent. The rifle has the peep sight and shell deflector as well.
I am missing the front, front sight screw that goes on the ramp and also the little screw the goes on the rear sight plate.
Numrich Gunparts are out of stock on these items. Anyone have a source for them?
Also my receiver is grooved. I thought that "groovy" receivers started in 1954.
Thanks,
Andy
Follow me I am the Infantry.
John Gyde

Re: New to me 550-1P

Post by John Gyde »

It sounds like the barrel was made in 1949, but not the receiver. Rem wasn't totally consistent on when they started the grooved receivers, but I haven't heard of any in the 1940s.
andy*

Post by andy* »

John,
Thanks for the reply. Is it unusual for a barrel and a receiver to be mismatched date wise for Remington?
Also do you have any other sources for the two missing screws?
Thanks again,
Andy
Follow me I am the Infantry.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

No sources for the screws. A while back somebody probably replaced the barrel with an earlier one.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

No sources for the screws. A while back somebody probably replaced the barrel with an earlier one.
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

When you say "grooved" do you mean ribbed? Early receivers had had a series of five grooves running the length of the receiver. Later receivers had two grooves for a scope.

It sounds to me like you have the correct early receiver that has two holes drilled in the left side for Remington's own peep sight. It would be unusual for a gunsmith to drill and tap a later receiver for these specialized machine screws, unusual but not impossible.

Does your sight elevate by piveting on the front screw and securing on the rear screw inside a U shaped area?

Got a picture?