Remington Rolling Block serial# 1206

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
ToddWill

Remington Rolling Block serial# 1206

Post by ToddWill »

I have been given a Rem. Rolling Block rifle and I have no idea what it is. Any help would be appreciated. The underside of the octagon barrell reads " 46 CTGE ", behind the trigger guard is a number "1206", I believe that is the serial #. On the topside behind the trigger it reads top line " Remingtons Ilion N.Y U.S.A". Bottom line " Pat May 3D Nov16th 1864 APR 17th 1868", very clearly. There are no other markings to be found at all. The barrell measures 1 1/4" width at the breach and 1 1/16" at the end of the barrell. The length of the barrell measured from beginning of breach to end of barrell is @30". If anyone has any info on what to look at or what this is please let me know! Thanks.
roundtop

Re: Remington Rolling Block serial# 1206

Post by roundtop »

I think you have what we call a roundtop sporting rifle, however I would have to see it to tell for sure. Any chance of some pictures? Take off the forearm and tell me the numbers and any other marks on the bottom of barrel. Also if you can take off the butt stock there are numbers on both the left tangs. These numbers should be the same. I own ser # 1212, also a heavy barrel 46 CTG'E. These were made in 1872. With these numbers I will have a better chance of telling what your rifle is. Ed
Yellowhouse

Re: Remington Rolling Block serial# 1206

Post by Yellowhouse »

I'm really curious as I think my rifle was re-barrelled by remington. The action screams late seventies but the barrel is obviously mid to late eighties because of the barrel address. Here's the kicker. Mine is 1608 and has a rebated receiver...chambered in 44-77. The "1" has a tick mark midway extending to the right... kind of a "1-" but connected. This type of "1" is on the trigger guard, tang, buttstock, forend, and yes the barrel. Do any of you see such a "1-" on yours?????

It seems improbable that a gunsmith, either of the day or a modern guru, would have a stamp of that description. Thus, my theory is that it was rebarreled at Remington. Either that or the action laid around the shop for ten or so years before they barreled it and shipped it out.