Putting a scope on a 141

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Dale S

Putting a scope on a 141

Post by Dale S »

I bought a 141 this spring. It had a Redfield peep sight on it when I bought it. I have been hunting with it this season. My eyes aren't what they use to be and I am thinking of putting a scope on it. Questions- is there a mount out there that I can keep the peep on? Quick detach scope mount? If not what is the best mount for the gun.
Thank You for any help.
Dale
Rickster

Re: Putting a scope on a 141

Post by Rickster »

Hi Dale, I dont have a clean answer for you, but I will share what I do know. The 14 and 141 did not come from the factory drilled and tapped for a scope. If you D/T, you will be impacting the collector value of the rifle, if that matters to you. I have some 14/141s that have been aftermarket D/T for scope mounts. No two are alike I once bought some Weaver bases off Ebay that were supposed to be for 14/141, or so the Weaver package said. But as I recall, they were not quite right. And none matched the holes in my rifles. There used to be scope mounts that were meant to be epoxied to SKS rifles. These would work with a little reshaping. Some people put both mounts on the receiver. This causes a couple of problems. First, you have to drill into a thin area in the locking recess. Second, the front mount will not be far enough forward for most scopes. This can be solved by using old Redfield Widefield scopes (because they have short eye relief) or compact scopes. IIRC, old Leupold M8s and newer Leupold compact scopes work. But please be sure to check them out for yourself first. Some people have solved the problem by D/T the barrel for the front mount. Unless someone posts an easy answer, I think you will have to pick bases that fit the receiver contour and then D/T the rifle for those bases. If your rifle is already D/T, figuring out which bases were originally used can be a frustrating challenge..
35Rem

Re: Putting a scope on a 141

Post by 35Rem »

Mine has a Pachmeyer swing away type mount. It does pretty well holding zero, and allows the use of the open sights, if you want them.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Det ... ter=574750

See link above. I think you need the base and mount. 2 pieces. I would call them to verify.

Might check ebay, gunbroker, etc.

You are looking for a part for a gun they stopped making 60 years ago. Be patient...