mod 7 feed problem

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
bearhide

mod 7 feed problem

Post by bearhide »

I have a mod 7 ms that came out of the custom shop. The gun does not want to pick up the next shell in the magazine. I took it to a gunsmith and he bent the magazine spring. I put a new spring in it and same thing. Someone said the spring was in upside down. I turned it around and it helped some. The more shells I put in the magazine the worst it gets. It acts like the bolt face does not contact enough of the shell rim to push it forward. Some times it go right past the shell. Could the gun have the wrong follower in it. It is a 308 cal. I have two rem 700s and with no shells in it when I push the bolt forward the follower goes down a small amout. But not on the mod 7. Can I ship the gun back to remington or do I have to go to one of there repair shops? Do the rails need to be cut to let the shell in the mag come up highier. Where do I ship it to and address. Thanks
600RemGuy

Re: mod 7 feed problem

Post by 600RemGuy »

What calibre? Sounds like your magazine box is not fitted to the bottom of the receiver causing it to be too wide and not pushing the top round into pick-up position especially at the rear. Newer followers do not contact the bottom of the bolt as it pushed forward. Some fellows fit it to the receiver and solider the rear together to keep it from popping out of the groove. It really should be held in fairly well with the floorplate, but without seeing it, I can't judge the exact problem.

Post by 436 »

Man it sure sounds like you have a rail problem... If the action was a standard cartridge {ie;.30-06 308} and your new re-chamber is for a magnum like the 7mm Rem mag.. its the rails.
Good luck
bearhide

Post by bearhide »

I think I found the problem. I took the stock off and notices the magazine box was not going into the reciver all the way. It was get hung up on the wood inlay. I ran 40 shells threw it and it seams to work fine. I want to thank you for your help. I thuoght for sure the rails had to be opened up. Thanks again guys for all your help. Its nice to be able to go to the form and ask for help
oneoldsap

Post by oneoldsap »

Good call 600remguy , if it worked when it was taken apart and now it doesn't ?
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

oneoldsap wrote:Good call 600remguy
Can't resist this! :lol:

In my best Elvis imitation voice-

"Thank You! Thank You Very Much!"