REMINGTON MODEL 11 HELP.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
forester

REMINGTON MODEL 11 HELP.

Post by forester »

HOPE THIS POST WORKS. TRIED YESTERDAY; DID NOT WORK, I HAVE A REMINGTON MODEL 11 20 GA. 2 3/4 CHAMBER FULL CHOKE. SER.#438793.LOOKS NEW; ANYONE TELL ME WHEN IT WAS MADE. ALSO NEED TO KNOW THE PROPER PLACEMENT OF FRICTION RING TO SPRING. MANUAL SHOWS OUTSIDE TAPER FACING RECEIVER.AUTO 5 MANUAL SHOWS FLAT SIDE OF RING NEXT TO SPRING & OUTSIDE TAPER FACING THE BRONZE BUSHING. WHICH IS RIGHT FOR HEAVY LOADS? THANKS.
Researcher

Re: REMINGTON MODEL 11 HELP.

Post by Researcher »

438793 is a 12-gauge serial number from December 1940. The 20-gauge Model 11 was introduced in 1930 with serial numbers beginning at 1000000 and went to about 1094000 in 1948.

Here is the friction ring instuctions from an old owners manual --

forester

Post by forester »

THANK YOU SO MUCH! MINE IS A 12 GA. 2 3/4. MUST HAVE BEEN THINKING OF MY BROWNING WHEN I WROTE 20 GA. YOU'VE BEEN A GREAT HELP.
melt

Post by melt »

Here's a good source of information I recently found. I just purchased a Model 11 B with a Cutts and didn't know there was a third set up of friction/compression rings.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_in ... ton_11.htm

Have fun...
forester

Post by forester »

THIS IS THE PROBLEM I WAS TALKING ABOUT.THE PICTURE SHOWS THE FRICTION RING TAPER AGAINST THE SPRING. THE EXPERTS I SPOKE WITH SAY THE FLAT SIDE OF THE STEEL FRICTION RING ALWAYS, ALWAYS FACES THE SPRING WITH THE TAPER FACING THE BRONZE RING. FOR YOUR CUTTS THE PICTURE IS CORRECT(THE FLAT SIDE GOES AGAINST THE SPRING)
oneoldsap

Post by oneoldsap »

Actually the friction ring doesn't have a flat side ! It has a convex side and a concave side . The last one I worked on still had the instructions stuck to the forearm (under Barrel) . I can't remember the settings though , well actually I may , just not sure enough to pass on . I would rather dispense no information than misinformation !
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I just went downstairs and checked out my three guns. The 1938-vintage 16-gauge has a friction ring that is flat on one side with an interior taper on the other side, like the instruction page I posted. Both my 1941-vintage 12-gauge and my 1948-vintage 20-gauge have friction rings that have an exterior taper on one side and an interior taper on the other, like the Wisner drawing!?! Looks like Remington changed the friction ring when the Cutts Compensator came out. Looking at my old Remington parts lists the old friction ring was part number 81 and the new style ring was part number 257.

The ring flat on one side makes more sense to my mind as long as one doesn't have a Cutts..
oneoldsap

Post by oneoldsap »

They must have changed the rings when they started offering the Cutts Compensator . I recently refinished a 1946 16 Ga. and it was as I said , concave and convex . I do love a day when I learn something , it looks like that change took place somewhere between 1938 and 1941 .