DOB for Conversions

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
CALIBRE44

DOB for Conversions

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Is there a list that will show the year Conversion Revolvers left the factory?...Jim
gmaque

Re: DOB for Conversions

Post by gmaque »

Jim
I've never seen such a list. There's not a whole lot of info on the conversions. The best book I know of on Remington conversions is written by Roger Phillis. I think there's some info on the book here at the RSA web site. About the only conversions I know of that can be approximately dated are the Navy models that were altered after the Civil War to .38 CF for the U.S. Navy. Are you looking for info on a particular model?
Be In Touch,
George
GBA
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Hi George: thanks for your interest. I have several Conversions and I know of Remington's poor record keeping, batch numbers etc. I though perhaps some energetic person on the forum may have done their own research as to approx dates of later models.ex. conversions and SA. I have an Army, Navy, several Police, Ryders, Pockets, 1st, 2nd and 4th Smoots and one 1875 SA. The Navy shows no indication of Gov. acceptance, it has 2 numbers on the barrel 23X which is smaller in size next to 040X. One could be serial and one conversion # and/or batch #, but not sure..No other markings, example: inspector enitials or cal. Has standard ejector system and gate, I'm guessing it is 38rf. About 80-90% original nickel..I also suspect this is not a conversion in the strict sense, but made as a cartridge gun? Jim
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

You're probably right about the gun being manufactured as a cartridge gun. The two numbers are most likely the serial number and the conversion or alteration number. You won't find any government acceptance marks on a Navy conversion. All of the revolvers converted for the Navy were in 38 CF, while those manufactured for the civilian market were in 38 RF. I don't believe any of the 38 CF models were ever offered to the public. Sounds like you have a nice collection of Remingtons. I would reccomend Don Ware's book "Remington Army and Navy Revolvers, 1861-1888". I think info on obtaining Don's book can be found here on the RSA website. With all those Remingtons why don't you consider becoming a member of the RSA. Great group of Remington folks, great quarterly magazine, great yearly seminars. We'd sure like to have you as a member.
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Hi GMAQUE; I have about 20 old Remingtons, My Navy is 38rf. so civilian model, has no inspector marks, just strong barrel adress and serial numbers..The only books I gotten over the years are Remington Firearms by Robert Ball and A Study of Remington's Smoot etc. by Parker et all. A few years ago I took a liking to the Smoot's, Have 1st, 2nd and 4th models. Re: RSA, my only hesitation is the lack of activity here on the forum, just don't know if the RSA would be any friendlier or active? Jim Ps ..Just checked to see who was using the forum, you gessed it me!!!!!!
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

Cal
Don't think you can find a friendlier or more knowledgeable bunch of gun folks anywhere. Check out the list of back issues of "The Journal", the RSA quarterely publication. The list is found here on the web site. You'll find a magazine filed with detailed articles and pictures of Remington arms, knives, sewing machines, etc, etc. Our yearly seminars are fun too. Check us out.
George