Is it a Remington?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
jjwood

Is it a Remington?

Post by jjwood »

I recently came upon a pistol I am having a hard time identifying. It looks identical to an 1861 in .44 caliber, down to the screws. Problem is it has a 6.5 in barrel and strange markings. The serial number on the bottom of the barrel is G1G64. The same serial number appears under the left pistol grip. On the left side of the barrel it is stamped N.J. It has several inspection stamps but nothing that says Remington. Any thoughts?
Mike Strietbeck

Re: Is it a Remington?

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Supply several good clear photographs, includling closeup of markings and I'm sure you will get opinions.

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
webfoot

Post by webfoot »

On pages 105 - 108 of Don Ward's book ("Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861 - 1888"), he discusses an order placed by the state of New Jersey on August 8, 1864 for 1,000 .44 caliber army revolvers. There are several pictures showing the N.J. stamp on the barrel and frame. Don't know about the serial number you have since Ward indicates the ones shipped to Jersey were in the range from 58,000 to 75,000. Sounds like this could be a lead, though. Keep me posted with what you find out.

David Van Dyke
Mike Strietbeck

The owner describes the revolver as looking like an 1861, having a 6.5" barrel while New Model Army revolvers are of the 1858 design, and have an 8" barrel. None of the Remington revolvers had serial numbers like G1G64. Now if that serial number was actually 61664, and the caliber was .44, and the barrel looked to be cut down, and/or replaced, it might be one of the N.J. models. It's my understanding that none of the N.J. models were issued before the end of the war, and all I've seen are in very good condition, so I can't see a barrel replacement as happening. I think we need to see photo's before any confident answer can be furnished.

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
webfoot

Post by webfoot »

I agree Mike - it would be nice to see some pics; although I probably wouldn't know what I was looking at. I'm a newbie at this and didn't even catch the 1861 vs. 1858 thing. Knew the barrel length was wrong, but if it had been replaced by some third party, thought that might explain there being no Remmington name on the revolver. I've only just finished reading Don Ward's book (for the first of what will surely be many times), and the mention of N.J. markings sent me thumbing back through the pages. My bad. Guess I better just sit back for a while; read all the posts, study the books, ask questions, and try to learn a bit before I start offering any opinions.

David
Mike Strietbeck

David,

I urge you to reconsider the sit back and hold your opinion comment. If you had not offered your opinion, my comment would not have seen the light of day, and others are sure to benefit from our discussion. Don Ware was a personal friend of mine who allowed me to make many comments and opinions that he used to gently further my education, and we can do the same for others. We can all benefit by your example of intellectual flexibility and I look forward to talking with you in the future.

Don't hesitate to write if you think I can assist in your future research.

Mike Strietbeck
webfoot

Post by webfoot »

Thank you Mike. I really appreciate your comments. This is a facinating new area of interest for me, and I'm really looking forward to getting involved and learning all I can. I know that with folks like you around to help me, the learning curve will be fast and fun. Don Ward's book is amazing - a true labor of love and a wonderful legacy. You are blessed to have been his friend. I just acquired my first Remington a few days ago and have lots of questions. I'll start tossing them out here (with pictures hopefully) and getting some help as soon as I learn how to use this fancy new camera. Thanks again.

David
shadrack

Post by shadrack »

Hard to tell without pictures but the 500 pound Gorilla in the room notes that Navy Arms is in New Jersey. Could be an aged replica which would also explain the weird serial number. They've been making these for 60 years so there's some really old used replicas out there. Just a thought.
OldFotoMan

Post by OldFotoMan »

I'm a newbe here also, trying to research one that I inherited, so I'm certainly no expert on these. That being said; in my research I've come across 2 sources that indicate that in late 1863, Remington made some of these with 6 1/2" barrels for the civilian market, as opposed to the 8" military guns. (The barrel on the one I'm researching actually measures 6 3/4".) A good hint may be if it has the high hammer spur and no safety notches in the cylinder between the chambers the earlier (1861) guns, or the lower spur and notches between the chambers as the newer ones (after 1863) had. Just a thought. As I said, out of about 18 books plus numerous web searches, to see what I can find out about mine, 2 sources mentioned this while the rest made no mention at all.
Mike Strietbeck

OldFotoMan

Can you share the two sources that you refer to?
OldFotoMan

Post by OldFotoMan »

Mike, here is a link to an article that refers to this.
http://www.floridareenactorsonline.com/revolvers

And another that refers to a brass framed version.
http://civilwarhandgun.com/remington.htm

I didn't see it in a quick glance through most of my old books, but that makes sense to me, because if it had been in them, I wouldn't have borrowed so many others to read through.

There is the distinct possibility that Mr. Niepert and I ran across, and are referring to, the same source though; since many of the books he sites as references are also books that I borrowed and read through.

While my memory isn't quite what it used to be, I seem to recall reading in the book that referenced this that it was speculated that this shorter barrel was aimed at the civilian market.

Several sources seem to indicate that Remington was having these made in more than one factory, in several locations. This would bring the question to mind (at least to me): Were these all produced to the exact same specs, or might there have been numerous slight variations of them produced?