721 ejection weak

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
pjsjr

721 ejection weak

Post by pjsjr »

The ejection on my used 721 is weak. The bolt releases the fired case but does not throw it from the receiver. Help me troubleshoot this and what do I need to fix this? Can I do it myself? Thanks in advance for your help and sharing your knowledge. Preston
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Since the extractor pulls the case from the chamber lets assume it is ok. But check it out. Extractors are find them where they are, like on ebay. Gunsmiths can fix them. I personally have never seen a failed 721-2-5 extractor. And I am skeptical of the "Sako" fix.

Try new spring under the ejector plunger. Model 700 parts will work. The holding crosspin can be a bugger to get out. Get spring and pins from Brownells
pjsjr

Post by pjsjr »

Thanks, Rem725...any tips on getting the pin out would be appreciated. I'm assuming a drift of the proper size. Is this under pressure from the spring while being held by the pin? Does it come flying out? Is the going back in difficult also...should I order several springs and pins? Thanks, Preston
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

The cross pin engages a notch on the plunger to hold and limit its travel. The spring tension might interfere with the removal so a second pair of hands might be a help. I have had to rig up a small push pin in a bearing press a couple of times. Proper tools plus thinking = good work (most of the time)
pjsjr

Post by pjsjr »

Sent the order into Brownell's...Thanks for the help. Preston
pjsjr

UPDATE

Post by pjsjr »

Put in the new ejector spring and still have problems...it will eject loaded rounds without problems and this was true before the new spring.

Every so often it ejects a case just like it knows what it's doing. So I inspect this case and one that did not eject and find that the mouth of the case on the one that failed to eject is deformed??? The case that ejected is not deformed. Thanks for any help. Preston
[img][img]http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/8730/img0084um8.jpg[/img][/img]
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

Many times what is thought to be an ejector problem can be an extractor problem. Did you check to see if the extractor is chipped or broken? It is common to see a flattened spot on the neck of a fired case. It could indicate the extractor is releasing the case to soon. It is all a mater of degree. A good gunsmith might be your best step
Loen Dunham RSA
pjsjr

Post by pjsjr »

shot1too, thanks, I did check the extractor. It is not chipped or broken, however, it did look to my untrained eye :roll: to be worn. I have a newer 700 in 223 and the extractor on it has a sharper more pronounced "lip" than the 721. Maybe a new extractor is called for? Will the extractor for a 700 work for the 721??? Preston
ghost

721 ejection weak

Post by ghost »

I have two 721s. Remember, they are at least 40 years old. Mine had weak extraction too, and discovered extractor worn out, and ones for the 700 don't/won't work. ONLY remedy is to have a Sako type extractor set up installed. I have, somewhere, the name and address of the guy who did mine. Was out there and back in a week, or less. I was building a semi-custom rifle with this gun, and could not use an extractor that did not work as cost of other modifications, like milled floorplate/tg assembly, model 70 safety, steel grip cap, custom stock, etc., cost a bunch, and a $125 for the Sako modification cheap. There are NO 721 extractors around, so fruitless to look for them. Did so for 6 months myself. If you want to do the Sako modification, let me know, and I'll try to find the guys name and address.
pjsjr

Post by pjsjr »

ghost, thanks for your reply and info.

Don't need the name quite yet as I have a couple of things to try. Spring lightening and modification of the ejector notch.

Question...can you tell if the extractor is worn out by looking at it and what do you look for? Thanks, Preston
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Does a case have much end play when held square on the bolt face under the extractor and against the ejector?
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member
ghost

721 weak extraction

Post by ghost »

The extractor on the 721, and the 700 is a small wire like coil, with a small, match head, if that big, piece to catch hold of the case rim. In a gun this old, the spring gets weak, and/or the piece that catchs hold of the case rim, gets worn from use. It then either won't extract at all, or does so haphazardly, and not consistent. This is what I ran into with mine. The ejector is an entirely different thing and is only what kicks the case out of the bolt face and gun, once it has been pulled from the chamber. You might want to take a chamber brush and make sure your chamber is clean, and one of the ones on a wire handle, in 45ACP size, would work, or get one of the ones for the M1, and run it around in the chamber. They do, even in a bolt gun, get carbon and dirt in there, that can "hold" the case. I had this happen last year in a match. Was embarrassing to say the least, and interfered with my getting all my shots off. If chamber is dirty and cleaned up, and nothing wrong with extractor, cases should then start coming out okay. If still having some stick, or not want to come out right, then probably need the new Sako extractor job. I know it sounds expensive, but if you're going to keep the rifle, it's cheaper than buying a new 700. Remember, all 721s at least 46 years old, so all can have the same problem. So only other alternative might be to buy a new 700, if wanting to stick with the Remington brand.
pjsjr

Post by pjsjr »

Rem725 wrote:Does a case have much end play when held square on the bolt face under the extractor and against the ejector?
I don't understand what you mean by "end play". I have put a case there but have to hold it...explain end play, please.

Ghost the case is pulled from the chamber, but not thrown from the receiver.

I've posted a pic of the offending bolt :lol:

Thank you for helping me with this. Preston

Last edited by pjsjr on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

"I don't understand what you mean by "end play". I have put a case there but have to hold it...explain end play, please. "

End play equates to the amount of case rim space under the lip of the extractor. i.e. does the case get held close enough to the bolt face on extraction. If not, the case has a chance to partially pull away from the face allowing the ejectors effect to be less.

Does your new ejector and spring have a strong free moving response when you push it in.

Is there any difference of ejection when working the bolt fast or slow?
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member
pjsjr

Post by pjsjr »

Rem 725, thanks for the explaination of end play(I like foreplay better, but you didn't ask that :D) I don't know what to tell you about the end play, how can I measure that? What is the amount allowable? I put the case rim into the bolt face...push down and it seems there is some space between the ejector and case.

The ejector and spring seem to have a strong moving response and it doesn't not seem to make any difference in the speed or force of working the bolt.

I have had another contact from a 721 owner, with a similar problem and he stated that a friend of his has a 721 that ejects fine and has a noticable weaker spring than his. I do realize that each gun and situation will be different, but makes one wonder.

I plan on going to the range tomorrow and will give the new ejector and spring a work out and report back.

I had several spent 06 cases here and put one into the gun. To my surprise the bolt wouldn't close and had to use more force than usual to open it. When I did get the bolt to come back the case came flying out just like it was suppose to :o. To make the long story short it was not a case fired from this gun. I will try many different approaches tomorrow.

'Til then thanks, Preston