Remington New Model Army .44

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
carbineone

Remington New Model Army .44

Post by carbineone »

Hopefully a easy one. On a original,made in 1863, 1861 or whatever 44 New Model Army. How many notches should you encounter when pulling the hammer back slowly. 2 or maybe 3..In other words how many times should the hammer position stop at if you intentionally slowly bring the hammer back?.Thanks
gmaque

Re: Remington New Model Army .44

Post by gmaque »

You should have 3 clicks. Safety, half cock and full cock.
Hope This Helps
George
carbineone

Post by carbineone »

Thanks George, but should it lock the hammer in three positions or only two? I can feel three catches but it only locks at half cock and full. Is that normal to onnly lock in two positions or should it lock the hammer in the first position too?..
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

The hammer locks in two positions, but you'll hear three "clicks" as the hammer is moved from the "fired" position, to the ready to fire or full cock position. The first (half cock) positon allows the bolt to drop out of the cylinder notch. Pulling the hammer back more will cause another "click" as the bolt springs back against the cylinder to enter the next notch as the hand rotates the cylinder. At this point the hammer can be lowered back into the "half cock" position. Pulling the hammer all the way back will cause another click as the trigger sear enters the final full cock notch in the hammer. Two hammer positions, three clicks.
carbineone

Post by carbineone »

Thanks very much. That is what it has is halfcock and full. The somewhat minor problem I am having is the bolt wants to catch the cylinder too much sometimes in the halfcock position. Making the cylinder not want to freewheel so to speak with the bolt riding against the cylinder in half cock position. It is a replacement bolt so I may have to do some filing to get it to work just right. I just do not like the bolt riding so tight on the cylinder at halfcock when the you rotate the cylinder. If I just pull the hammer back a little bit it does not do this and the bolt stays down in the frame. Not till it gets to halfcock position fully that the bolt comes up too far...

I may call Lodgewood tommorow and see if they have any advice what to do. That is where I got the replacement bolt from..
carbineone

Post by carbineone »

Messed around with it this eve and got it working nice, had to file a little off the back side of the bolt where it engages the pin in the hammer..All is good and I am Happy again..Thanks