Remington rolling block target pistol

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
blackhills

Remington rolling block target pistol

Post by blackhills »

I have a question to someone that knows. Is a 1901 target pistol made on a 1871 army proofed frame an
antique or a NFA firearm ? Thanks in advance, Bob
billt

Re: Remington rolling block target pistol

Post by billt »

Hi Bob,
Although I am not by any means an expert on Remington Rolling Block Pistols I did find the following statement in Chapter 20 of Jerry Landskron’s book on Remington Rolling Block Pistols; “The first feature to be noticed is that on almost every specimen reported by collectors or observed by the author, these 1901 receiver frames were inspected and stamped by Curtis R Stickney. As previously discussed Mr. Stickney was a civilian employee working for the Army when he proofed the 1871 Army contract. His “PS” is found on the left side of the receiver, near the normal Remington address.”
I hope this helps,

Bill T
aardq

Re: Remington rolling block target pistol

Post by aardq »

The ATF considers the frame to be the firearm. Therefore the gun is an antique by their own definition. This has come up before elsewhere, but I can't cite a confirmed example. You can always write to the ATF for a definitive answer, but my non-legal opinion is that the conversion at a later date is just that, a conversion on an antique firearm.

Dan