Old Remington

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
quietman123

Old Remington

Post by quietman123 »

Hello to all. My best friend (and boss...no, not my wife), asked me to research his Remington shotgun for him. Here is what I know. On top of rib between barrels it is marked in gold Remington, London and New York. His take is it was made in London and marketed in New York. It has a crown over V proof which indicates English proof or perhaps Belgium. He was told at some point that it is referred to as a Remington Nagant, perhaps made in 1874. He has been told that there has never been a rolling block shotgun by several gun "experts". Obviously, not the case. We are trying to find out any addl. info.[img][img][img][img][/img][/img][/img][/img] Gauge appears to be 16, barrel length 30". We are trying to find out the connection between the Nagant brothers who, I assume were from Belgium and manufactured guns there and Remington and the London connection. We have a photo of this shotgun in a firearms photo history book but can find no other reference. Serial number is 422. Would love to know the number made. There are 7 gold inlayed animals as shown, pheasant, dog and deer. Really amazing quality. I would greatly appreciate any information or suggestions on where to go from here. Thanks...Dan
Attachments
IMG_5753.JPG
IMG_5753.JPG (239.64 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
paul harm

Re: Old Remington

Post by paul harm »

To the best of my knowledge Remington had outlets in England and exported guns there. Perhaps Researcher will see this post - he has much more info than anyone. Paul
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

In his book, Remington Double Shotguns, Charles Semmer shows on page 29, a Whitmore Hammer Lifter Model 1873, serial number 54, engraved on the rib "E. Remington & Sons New York & London." He states "To date we know of only six so marked." According to Charles' serial number table, it appears each version of the Whitmore lifter-action hammer guns started its own serial number run, so serial number 422 could be an 1873, 1875, 1878 or 1879.

We'd certainly love to see a lot more pictures of this gun. Only the one picture of the rib markings shows up on my computer.
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

I agree with researcher, more photos are necessary to identify this model.
To the best of my knowledge, Remington never made a Rolling Block Double
Barrel shotgun. A photo of the action would probably answer the question
as to which model this is.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I've seen an experimental rolling-block double, both in person and in a book, but I can't seem to lay my hands on the reference now. The Nagant Bros. built rolling block single shot rifles and shotguns under license from E. Remington & Sons as did Husqvarna in Sweden and numerous others. While E. Remington & Sons built plain rolling-block single shot shotguns at Ilion, they did import fancy engraved models from Nagant Bros.